2004 - 2008 F-150

window tint

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't recommend tinting the windshield because it reduces your visibility at night pretty bad. Most tint shops will do a strip across the top that looks fine. The sides, however will reduce sunlight during the day and glare at night, similar to your rear view mirror, which is nice since a lot of folks like to tailgate with there brights on. Also, 20% will match your rear windows. And yes when you roll down your window there will be about a 1/16" strip around the edge because the tint won't seal right if its flush, it’s not very noticeable though.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Suspended
Old 02-09-2005, 03:26 PM

Mine has 5%over the factory side and rear tint, and 20% on the fronts and windshield. On the day the front tint is great i dont need sunglases. But at night its a diferent story, Its bad but not imposible, its likedriving a old car.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:43 PM
i have 20% over the back windows, and 5% on the front, i love it, u can see people and they cant see you.... my truck dont get hot in the sun as much... now at night, it is hard to see out the sides. but its worth it

Old 02-10-2005, 12:46 AM
hey guys - thanks for all the posts and pics on this thread. I had never even though about getting the windows tinted. just got them done today though and they look SWEET. got 20% to match the rear window. funny thing is a cop came in while it was being put on and complimented me on my truck. told the guy doing the install it must be a show truck since its illegal...LOL--right! I'll throw some pics up when it quits raining.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is illegal. South Carolina tint law is 27%

Old 02-10-2005, 08:33 AM
yea i know...thats why i though it was funny that the cop didn't care. apparently in SC you can have your windows as dark as you want as long as your not acting like a moron. kind of like the seatbelt laws - they only enforce it when your driving like a mad man.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:50 AM
There is a downside to that though. Insurance companies can possibly shoot down a claim if it is related in any way to vision impairment. In addition, we all know how insurance works; they look for every single loophole. My State Farm agent told me it could get iffy in some situations so I opted for the darkest my state allows.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My neighbor, who is a city cop, told me the way he checks for tint too dark is to hold a driver's license up inside the tinted window. If you can read the license the tint is OK, if you can't read the license then the tint is too dark and he will call for the supervisor to bring the tint meter. I went with the legal(in KY) tint of 35% on my fronts.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:00 AM
I suggest you take it into a professional. They will be able to answer all your questions about tinting and the legal stuff as well. My buddy does it and put on the darkest legally possible on my FX4. He has done darker for others, and warned them that it was illegal. A few months later they would come back and he would get a second job from them. He likes the extra money.

On a side note he tinted a truck extra dark and the owner of the vehicle got a handicap pass because his wife had some kind of "sun condition". He gets pulled over all the time and flashes his pass. He did end up going to court once cause the officer did not believe him, but the judge let him go.

zman

Old 02-11-2005, 06:04 PM
#LT
hey thanks for all the replies,

i just got it done today for 60 bucks. i had them match the factory tint and it looks perfect. i couldn't be happier with the outside, seriously an exact match. the only thing i don't like is that from the inside it's a little darker than the front. not that it really matters, but i'm paranoid like that; and it's just like shade darker. i'm guessing it is because the back and rear windows are privacy glass from the factory and the front ones that i had tint put on today is done with film, and that is what causes it to be a little darker in color when viewing from the inside. correct me if i'm wrong, hopefully it will match on the inside too over time, maybe it just needs time to dry.

thanks again

Old 02-11-2005, 10:21 PM
#LT
the more i look at it, the more impressed i am, but still wondering if the inside will change. looking out from the inside, the front windows (the one i tinted) looks darker than the back factory privacy glass. tint is harder to see through from the inside than privacy glass, but from the outside they are identical in darkness.

can anyone tell me if this is true?

i hope i explained it clear

Old 02-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Ya mine are the slightest difference in color but dont ever notice it. I think id worry about other things than that lol.

Quick Reply: window tint