2004 - 2008 F-150

03 Cobra to 05 F150. Help me out guys...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Cobra to 05 F150. Help me out guys...

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. The last few weeks I've been thinking about selling my 03 Cobra and getting an XLT SuperCrew (4 door) F150 with the 5.4 V8. It will be 4x4. I'm just so lost as to whether this is the move I want to make. I'm so afraid I'll miss the HP and fun to drive factor of the Cobra. On the other hand I have a wife and 2 kids and the space in the F150 would be awesome. Not to mention been a 4x4 I can drive it year round instead of parking my Cobra when it snows and driving the 4x4 Ranger.

I'm looking for some opinions here. How does the 5.4 SuperCrew F150 run? Does it get up and move? Does it feel powerful and fun to drive? I'm so afraid it'll be a slugish bore to drive. I know it's a 300hp V8 (looked at fordvehicles.com) but man that's quite a big truck.

Is there anyone here who's driven a powerful Mustang (my Cobra's putting down over 400hp to the rear wheels) and an F150 and give some opinions.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks guys
Malcolm

Last edited by MalcolmV8; 02-03-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:37 PM
uhh keep your cobra my friend

Old 02-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Lightbulb advice

call mike troyer of www.troyerperformance.com-he has an 04 supercre 4x4 that runs for a 6200lb truck-tell him openclasspro sent ya-phil

Old 02-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The F150 would be a wise choice for your family as it would offer you and them them much better protection than your cobra would. As well speaking from experience it is alot easier to get 2 kids into the screw than into the backseat of any car.
I hope this helps you out a little.
Trev

Old 02-03-2005, 09:45 PM
My advice. If you have a 4x4 Ranger, then I'd keep the Cobra. I went from a SVT Focus (not really powerful, but a hellava lot of fun to drive) and I miss it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my truck to death. But at the time I had the SVTF, I also had a 98 Dakota. That was the perfect combination. I had something fun and something practical. The Dak was on the way out and the Focus wasn't what I needed to pull my ATV and move drywall etc. So the next best thing was my FX4.

If you go the truck route then you will not be dissapointed if you know what you're getting into.

I'm in the process of looking for a 90-93 Stang LX to tinker with.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Well it IS a big truck. I love driving mine everyday. Its no mustang but fun. Ive had 3 mustangs in my time 2 5.0's and my last one was an 02 GT 4.6. They were all fast and fun, but obviously not as much HP as yours is. I say if your a total HP freak and need speed all the time, then stick with the 'stang. If you want a more comfortable ride with some room in it, and be able to spin the tires every now and then, well then go get the truck.I myself have been back and forth,,'stang, f150. 'stang , f150. This time my plan is to pay off the truck and keep it and buy a mustang cobra, R, SVT, Saleen or whatever the heck it will be in a couple years. Sorry if this isnt much help, its just my story. Good luck, but you will not be dissapointed with the truck.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:05 PM
you're 2nd guessing that is enough

hey if you are second guessing already, I assume you would probably be disappointed with the truck - not saying it is a bad truck - I would keep the combination of the cobra and the ranger

if you are tired of the ranger, get an old truck and fix it up into an off-roader if you want...

i'd love to have a mustang and an old bronco...but instead I'll pay my truck off and buy a new mustang in 2 or 3 years

Old 02-03-2005, 11:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sold my '01 Lightning and my '03 Cobra and bought my 04 Screw. I also traded in my '01 SCrew that I used as a two vehicle for the L and the Cobra.
The only thing I miss is the Lightning, but I am in the process of purchasing another one if the one I found is what the owner claims it is.
I say go for it

Old 02-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Thanks so much for all your input. I'm thinking maybe I should go take a 5.4 supecrew 4x4 with 3:73s for a test drive. I just hate to wail on a new vehicle. Maybe they will have a dealer vehicle that already has a few hundred or thousand miles on. I don't want to tear it up or anything but I would like to lay into the gas pedel a few times and get a feel for what kind of passing power it has and how it accelerates.

I know it's not going to jump like my cobra but as long as it pulls strong and will still be fun to drive I think I may go for it. I was just out playing in my cobra tonight. Man you just can't beat the feeling. Crusing around 110 you shift from 6th to 4th and nail the gas and wow it just squats and slams you in the seat. It's amazing. I'm hoping after its sold my HP junkie side can be fed by my 92 Ranger. I dropped a fairly healthy 5.0 V8 in it.

Thanks guys
Malcolm

Old 02-04-2005, 02:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't expect any breath taking results when you crack the throttle on the Supercrew. I had Mike Troyer, who tuned both my Lightning and Cobra set me up with an X-Calibrator with 3 nice tunes in it for my 04 Screw. There is marked throttle response and shift point firmness in all 3 tunes form the 87 up to the 94 octane ***** to the wall tune. I can fry the tires on the 94 ocatne tune and the shifting will set you back in the seat, but don't expect it to perform like your Cobra.
My Lightning made 495 horses and would turn consistent 12.40's and my Cobra made 480 horses and ran 11.20's @ 121. ( both Troyer tuned) Although I miss that power, I am content with my 6200 pound Supercrew on the higher octane tunes. Just be open minded and I think you will enjoy the Supercrew..

Old 02-04-2005, 02:08 AM
I know the position you are in. I have had my modified 98 Stang Cobra since new and it is now paid off. I have always had a second vehicle because I don't even drive the Cobra in the rain. I am at a point in my life where I can afford the insurance on both vehicles and the payment on the F-150. If I could not affort this setup, I would keep the Stang (It will only get replaced by the next Cobra due out in 06) and have an older truck like you have. There is no replacement for the rush you get from stomping down on the pedal of a real fast car. I say keep the Ranger and the Stang and be happy. Like others have said, if you are questioning the purchace do yourself a favor and keep the vehicles you currently have.
Good Luck!

BTW-Eithor way you can't go wrong. The Cobra and the F-150 are both fine machines, just very different to drive.

Old 02-04-2005, 02:59 AM
Go for it!!

I thought I would miss my modified '96 GT but I haven't had a thought about the car since I purchased the truck.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:53 AM
A truck is a truck is a truck and if you're used to the performance of your modded Cobra, you will never get anything close to the same thrill in a 4X4. I have a 2004 GTO (stock) and a 2004 4.6l F150. Went with the smaller engine f150 for daily driving and because I don't plan to tow much with it. The GTO is so much fun for me to drive with the instant gratification gas pedal. The truck seems to take forever to get going. But I do like the sound of the truck better since putting on the dual exhausts. Especially at start up.

If at all possible sell the two Rangers get the F150 and keep the Cobra. If money is a concern you have to look at your priorities and do what's best for your family. That may mean selling the fun car and getting a truck that will accomodate everyone. You can always buy another performance car later.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:31 AM
Hey Malcolm, welcome to the board....

I have a 2004 F-150 and just purchased a 2005 Mustang GT. It's not a Cobra, but it's in the neighborhood. I'm lucky enough to be able to keep the truck and I get a different type of enjoyment from each vehicle.

While my GT is fast and fun, it's also a lot noisier. It's no match for a Cobra, but it pulls surprisingly hard and makes great sounds going up through the gears. I smile just thinking about it.

My Lariat offers next to nothing in driving excitement. It is very heavy and feels it. The addition of the Superchip 1714 tuner really helps, but I still think it's a slug. But, the truck is also much quieter, offers great visibity and handles quite well for such a heavy beast. I love the roomy interior and after 15 months, I still haven't gotten over how nice it looks inside. I also have no doubt that I am safe in my truck. If I had kids, the truck would be my choice.

Good Luck with your choice. It's a tough one!

Old 02-04-2005, 09:20 AM
you're selling apples to buy oranges.

If you're still a hp junkie, keep the Cobra....or buy the F-150 and put 3k aside to buy an 80's 5.0.

Quick Reply: 03 Cobra to 05 F150. Help me out guys...