2004 - 2008 F-150

Transmission won't come out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a similer problem that just started a couple weeks ago. If you start the truck and press the brake, it wont release out of park. Once you turn the key back one notch and shut the motor off, it will then release out of park. Also if you turn the key almost to the point before you start the motor but don't start it, at that point it will let the shifter out of park, but not everytime. You then have to start it then turn the key back one notch killing the motor then it will let it release out of park. The truck is a 98 f150... Any ideas on a quick fix of things I can check out myself?

Old 03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Came across this a couple weeks after I got my truck. I was on a slightly slanted driveway...shook the heck out of the truck (back and forth) and tinkered with my gears to shift it out...it worked.

Now when I park on a slant, I put it park, I press the heck out of the ebrake to make sure it is nice and snug, then put it in park. Havent had problems since. If it starts up again, I will take it in to have it looked at.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:11 PM
There is an actuitor the keeps you from shifting out of park without hitting the brake, sometimes they go bad and won't let you shift out of park. I know because I work at a Ford plant that builds steering columns and we've had problems with them in the past.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:17 PM
If you dont put the shifter fully into the Park position, this may happen. Turn the key to the 'on' position, fully engage the Park shift, and it may start. Works for me.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Mini-update......

Well I found out later today that when I press the brake pedal the brake lights don't come on. Regular running lights and turn signals all work fine, just pressing the brake pedal doesn't engage the brake lights.

So would it make sense that the sensor on the brake pedal would be responsible for both, not making the brake lights come on when the brake pedal is pressed and not letting it out of park since the brake pedal has to be pressed to disengage the park lock? I ordered a new one and it will be in tomorrow. Also, fuse #3 (20amp) was burned out... what is that fuse for? I replaced it and nothing seemed to change so I'm hoping the brake pedal sensor will fix me back up.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Thank you!

Originally Posted by GT79
Just for future reference, I had this problem intermitantly on my '97 F-150 and it turned out to be a broken wire on the brake light switch. Occasionally it wouldn't come out of park and after several trys, it would release. I suspected the brake light switch so I backed into my garage so that I could see the brake lights reflecting off the back wall and noticed that they weren't working every time I pressed the brake pedal. When I tried to pull the connector off the switch, the wire came off in my hand. The truck was out of waranty so I just soldered the wire back onto the connector and problem solved. My '04 has the same design so it could happen with it as well. The switch moves with the pedal so the wire breaks from repeated bending of the wires.
My 1997 just started acting up this week with the business of depressing brake and no release out of park.
I checked the wires to the connector to the sending unit and BINGO! One frayed wire found. Replaced the connector with female blade ends, reconnected and 100% cured!
You all are great! Thanks for the time and $$$ saving tip!

Old 11-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by justusinfla
My 1997 just started acting up this week with the business of depressing brake and no release out of park.
I checked the wires to the connector to the sending unit and BINGO! One frayed wire found. Replaced the connector with female blade ends, reconnected and 100% cured!
You all are great! Thanks for the time and $$$ saving tip!
I just had the same problem on my 98 Expy. Broken wire on the brake switch, and I didn't know it was an issue until it wouldn't let me shift out of park. A little solder and it's as good as new.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by GT79
Just for future reference, I had this problem intermitantly on my '97 F-150 and it turned out to be a broken wire on the brake light switch. Occasionally it wouldn't come out of park and after several trys, it would release. I suspected the brake light switch so I backed into my garage so that I could see the brake lights reflecting off the back wall and noticed that they weren't working every time I pressed the brake pedal. When I tried to pull the connector off the switch, the wire came off in my hand. The truck was out of waranty so I just soldered the wire back onto the connector and problem solved. My '04 has the same design so it could happen with it as well. The switch moves with the pedal so the wire breaks from repeated bending of the wires.
Thanks for this post! This is the same problem I found when troubleshooting my 97 f150 today, having the same intermittent symptom. Had to splice new wires into the connector and no issues since!

- Gerry

Quick Reply: Transmission won't come out of Park