2004 - 2008 F-150

Creak\Knock\Clank in rearend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Creak\Knock\Clank in rearend?

Anyone else experience some harsh sounding noises from the rear suspension when traversing some off-camber terrain?
The parking lot at work has a bit of a ramp up off the road. When turning off the road into the lot, the front of the truck is much higher than the back causing the rear suspension to drop on one side more than the other. This is the point at which the ugly noises are heard. Sounds like metal on metal twisting and binding, like a loud cricket, and then a thunk!
I also hear the thunk, but not as loud, when cornering, about half way through the turn. Almost as if there was something in the box not tied down.
Anyone?

Old 03-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Suspended
I have that when I shift from park into drive soon as I start up. If I wait a little while it won't do anything. Its never done it offroad though.

Old 03-23-2005, 12:50 PM
sounds like the infamous shudder problem? Do you have the limited slip rear end? There is a TSB for this, they usually replace the clutch packs in the rear end.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:08 PM
I dont think it is the shudder/clutch packs you speak of. I only say that because you'd think it would "do it" at any speed.
It seems as though speed is a factor as the suspension/body must "roll" a bit to reproduce the clunk sound when rounding a corner.
It is quite a violent sound, which seems like it's coming from the suspension, when entering my lot.
Maybe i'll head to the dealership?

Old 03-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Suspended
I don't think its the shudder either.

Now not to change the topic at hand, is the problem Im experienced the yoke? I just don't understand why it would not do it after I wait a little bit on start up. It just doesn't add up.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Try waiting until the RPM's come down before shifting into gear. I can reproduce the clunk if the RPM's are over 7-800. Let it warm up.
If it occurs after you are in gear and starting to roll then it is probably the slip yoke. My 97 Lariat had this problem.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Re: Creak\Knock\Clank in rearend?

Originally posted by gillster

The parking lot at work has a bit of a ramp up off the road. When turning off the road into the lot, the front of the truck is much higher than the back causing the rear suspension to drop on one side more than the other. This is the point at which the ugly noises are heard. Sounds like metal on metal twisting and binding, like a loud cricket, and then a thunk!
well this description you said above is why I think you have the shudder problem. Mine would always make noises/shudder on this road I turn off in the mornings. It is on a slight incline, and I'm also turning right at the same time. Just like yours, my front end is higher than the back, and rear end is uneven due to the incline from this little inclined road. Got my clutch packs replaced by the TSB and no more noises now at this road or anywhere else.

also I would hear a slight clunk, and had my slip yoke greased too and no more noises...

Old 03-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Do you have the TSB number I could reference for the service tech?
Thanks for your help.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:51 PM
TSB # 04-01-06 is what I referenced. But there maybe an updated number now, and actually I think my work order stated a different number. I can check when I get home from work and post what number was on my work order.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:47 PM
I recently experienced a sound similar to what you described when i was driving slowely from a stop up a snow coverered road on an incline. It did this twice but I couldent replicate it. I brought it to the dealership and try tried to replicate it by driving up some hills but they couldent get it to make the noise again....

Quick Reply: Creak\Knock\Clank in rearend?