2004 - 2008 F-150

Sucks In The Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 2stroked
J-150,

OK, you can call me "grasshopper" now. I totally agree with you on the multiple laws of physics thing. In my (extensive) experience in snow, there's a ton of factors that come into play. For instance, adding weight to a truck to improve traction - when that truck has a set of fat tires on it - does little to solve the traction problem. Nice to know that there are some true experts out there. Nice post!

thanks for the feedback. I 100% agree with the fat tires. Fate tires with little tread is an accident waiting to happen in the snow, regardless of physics.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:09 PM
This truck better not "suck" in the snow. When I hit the 4x4 switch I better get and go. I've driven a 5.0 Mustang for years and 1.5" and I could just walk. Maybe this is realitive to past experiences.

Now I've driven an Expedition whenever it snows and that does well but this truck better not suck in the snow.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2stroked
[B]faman66,

How are the stock (255) Generals in the snow? My '05 should arrive in two weeks and I've never run Generals in Rochester snow.

They suck, worst tires made, I have them on my truck 04 and I cant wait to get new ones when these are worn out. I live in WI and drove through winter last year, if you can replace them before winter do it. I am saving for rims and tires so I will have to wait a bit longer.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:14 PM
faman66,

For those of us that have seen housewives (applying makeup) fly by on an icy expressway in their newly purchased SUV's, the law gets re-written as follows:

"An SUV in (excessive) motion tends to remain in motion. The same SUV in a ditch will tend to remain there - because I don't pull fools out."
Amen to that...I'm glad we don't have much snow and ice in California because there are a lot of 'housewives' and other idiots who like to do anything but operated their vehicle when driving...like talk on cell phones while slurping on a big-gulp and applying lip stick.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:53 PM
i gotta tell you that i went through Mammoth Lakes area last sunday during the storm and my truck has NO problems whatsoever. i have Falken STZ04 305/45-22 4x4 3.73 ltd slip. i thought the tires might make for some trouble, but that setup was strong! it performed exactly as i wanted it too! The Falken STZ04 are a great choice for people who want a tire that can perform on more than just the street. i use them at the lake when there is no boat ramp and again NO problems! there is also no substitute for driver judgement/ability. remember that four wheel go does not always mean four wheel stop. sometimes you gotta slow down. just because some of us have 4x4 does not mean we should expect to do 65+ in the snow!

Old 12-02-2004, 01:02 PM
faman66,

How are the stock (255) Generals in the snow? My '05 should arrive in two weeks and I've never run Generals in Rochester snow.
I've only had my truck since April 04 and since we have not had any accumulation of snow yet this year I'm wondering the same thing. My first instinct is that they will probably suck.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by fatman66
I've only had my truck since April 04 and since we have not had any accumulation of snow yet this year I'm wondering the same thing. My first instinct is that they will probably suck.

they will definitely suck.

Old 12-02-2004, 02:35 PM
My experience with the 255 Generals sucked. They had terrible traction on anything. So far I have been happy with the BFG 35" AT but I havent tried snow yet. In mud they did as expected and clogged up pretty good, but I think the digger lugs kept me moving. So far the ATs have performed as expected but I cant really judge them till the snow hits Rochester.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:13 PM
My 255 Generals suck. Haven't run them in much snow yet, but they are horrible in mud. They are road tires. If they put AT's or the like on a stock truck, the majority of truck owners that will never ever need them will complain about the noise/vibration from them. My only truck that had good stock tires was my Chevy s-10 ZR2 that came with 31x10.5r15 BFG AT's. That thing went anywhere. Too bad the tranny went a shade past warranty... Another 30,000 miles or so and life will be better...

Old 12-02-2004, 06:44 PM
I bought my 04 SCREW and immediately traded my stock General's for YoKohama Geolander AT +IIs. Discount Tire gave me $200 for the Generals.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by indyeng
I bought my 04 SCREW and immediately traded my stock General's for YoKohama Geolander AT +IIs. Discount Tire gave me $200 for the Generals.
I tried that when mine was a week old (a year ago) and Discount would only give me $30 a tire.

I figured "screw that, the BFG's can't be THAT bad in the snow".

I was wrong.

Unfortunately, Michelin (that I can find) is not making AT's for the 18" wheels yet.

Hello Michelin??? Customer waiting for product here!

I hear good things about Yokahama and if Michelin doesn't have an 18" AT by later summer, I'll start looking elsewhere I guess.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:09 PM
The Yoko are great I had them on my 02 Ranger XCAB for 18 months before I traded. They are by far the best wet weather tire I have ever had or driven. They were also great in the snow and good in the mud. They are a little loud but we have quite steel, right!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Had my first drive in the snow the day before Thanksgiving in my screw 4x4.I have 35" swampers and a 6" lift and in about 3 inches of slushy snow it drove ok but when I applied 4 wheel drive it handled excellent.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Has anyone tried Michelin Pilot LTX's?

I want to get Michelin M&S LTX but they don't come in 18's.
I had them on my 97... 2WD never had trouble in the snow.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:54 PM
ho ho ...snow

I begged and pleaded for my salesman to switch out the BFG's for the Goodyear AT/S and he wouldn't do it. His arm looked like a pretzel when we finished the deal. I saw those AT/S tires on another truck on the lot and I wanted them sooo bad. But, you know the saying..."sing it Mick Jagger." Anyway... I've been waiting a whole year for some snow and I don't want to be disappointed. If these BFG's suck and I'm all over the road, I'm going to run them in the ground and get some new ones. Has anyone experienced the Nitto Grapplers on snow yet?? I'm leaning toward those, Goodyear or Michelin unless I find something better.

"Let it snow...let it snow....let it snow."

Last edited by fx4scab; 12-02-2004 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Sucks In The Snow