2004 - 2008 F-150

Procomp or Fabtech

Old 10-06-2004, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procomp or Fabtech

I am eventually(end of the year) going to get a 6" lift and have narrowed my choices to Fabtech and Procomp (like there is much else out there lol). Techically what is the difference between the two lifts? Do both keep suspension settings optimized? Anything else I need to know about the lifts? Pros or cons to either?

I also plan on doing the coilover swap. Which coilovers would be best to go with? Procomps or Fabtech "Dirt Logic" (Fox)? Any advantages to either? Pros or cons?

Also I know the Dirt Logic coilover allows an additional inch of height adjustment, for a total of 7", which I will need as I plan to run a 36-37" tire. Will Procomps coilover allow this adjustment? Will I be able to fit 37's with both setups?

Help please, I really am not sure which one to go with. Most I have talked to have said Fabtech, but two out of the four shops I have talked to have said Procomp has less problems, while the other two shops said they wouldnt sell me Procomp as it was a crappy lift. HELP!!!

~Colby

P.S. Also I am curious as to what rear shocks I should go with. I want a shock with a resivor, more for looks than anything else (lol), but also like the functionality that they have. I like Fox, King, and Procomps MX-6. Any thoughts on this???

Old 10-06-2004, 02:18 PM
No ones has any advice on lifts??? Will it help if I beg on my hands and knees???

Old 10-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Actually it would. hehe J/K.

I've been wondering the same thing. I called 4 wheel parts to get their "opinion" and they pretty much told me that their were both comparable and good products.

They did talk about getting the packages with the new coil overs though. That they are better than the ones that use the stock coil overs.

Sorry I'm not much help. Hopefully people will start answering this post.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Here is the thing, Four Wheel Parts Direct said Fabtech is having problem, go Procomp. But they would sell me Fabtech if I "really" wanted it.

ORW said go with Fabtech, its the better engineered kit and he wouldnt sell me .

Then I went to PG Series Trucks and he said both kits are good, but he prefered Procomp, and that they hadnt had any problems with their kit, but that some customers with Fabtech had been having problems. He also said the Dirt Logic coilovers were better than Procomps for serious off roading.

Then at Four Wheel Trucks, they said stick with Fabtech, less problems and it kept the suspension right where it should be and that Procomp messed up suspension angles or something and was causing increased wear.

So as you can see^^^^ this is why I am a bit confused. I tend to beleive both kits are good, but just want some more knowledge on the pros and cons of each...

~Colby

Old 10-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Alrigth Bullitt I guess I should reply....

I did a lot of research on both lifts, as well as the Rancho. I imediately ruled out the Rancho because it was a little lower than a 6" and was a lot more expensive.
The main reps I talked to about lifts were 4wheelparts, Rocky Mountain Suspension, 4x4 Unlimited, and Sullivans 4x4.
4wheelparts was all for their Procomp kit while Rocky was all for the Fabtech. The rest of them were pretty indifferent.
After looking at the parts for the Fabtech and Procomp (stage 1 without the coilovers for both) they are very similar in every way. The brackets and components are made from the same materials, very similar in design and approach. However there is a decent difference between the two...the Fabtech kit costs a good amount more. I ended up getting the Procomp at only 1200, but the Fabtech would have set me back over $500 more.
The Fabtech kit does plan on releasing the option of steering stablizers. This may also be true with Procomp but nothing as of yet.
I also had a hard time figuring out the coilovers or spacers. I talked with a lot of reps and they all said to go with spacers unless you planned on really stressing the front end. I asked for more info and the techs basically said the coilovers were met for high end offroading very often. I explained that at best I would get this thing offroad once every 2 weeks and it would not be rock crawling but more mudding and trails. Again they all stressed the spacers since the coilovers will cost a great deal more and increase the roughness of your ride. As far as my opinion of Procomp, I love it. I bought the lift and had it in boxes for months before it was installed. I went through each component, the instructions and all the paint and prep work. The kit was very well put together and the guys who did the install said it was very simple and liked the kit a lot. All in all I would reccomend the Procomp setup unless you were going to ride this thing extremely hard and were really focused on the coilovers from them (the coilovers for Fabtech are better but can be put in on a procomp lift).
I can tell you from my experience with this lift, there is very little I worry about damaging on it. At 1/4 thick steel I feel like a lot of other things are going to bust before that does, and honestly who wants to go over stuff that can destroy a $30,000+ truck. Of course you want to offroad but that might be a little much.
The lift is great, I dont think you can go wrong with either. The more common lift is the Procomp. Wait for a good deal online and buy it. I hope this helps. Make sure you post pics when done.
By the way for comparison, I posted lots of pics of the components of the Procomp lift in my gallery, check them out.

Good Luck!

Old 10-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks alot Eddy!!! Thats the best info I have gotten so far.

After reading what you wrote and checking your gallery, I am leaning more towards Procomp. I really want to go with the coilovers though... What is the reason the Fabtech coilovers wont work with the Procomp lift though? Not clear on that.

Might end up doing the Procomp lift with Sway-a-Way coilovers, as those also allow spacers... That way I can get a few more inches of lift!

~Colby

Old 10-06-2004, 04:43 PM
When you guys talk about spacers are you talking about the daystar spacers?

Old 10-06-2004, 06:42 PM
I don't want to change the topic of this thread, but any thoughts out there on a Superlift kit? I don't think they are out yet, but any rumors on them?

Old 10-06-2004, 06:47 PM
I have 35's on my truck with a skyjacker 6" lift, however i've seen someone with the same lift and i think a daystar level kit with 37's.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Sorry about the confusion the coilovers will definitely work with whatever lift you chose. And to answer the other question as to spacers...we are talking about the spacer towers included in a 6" lift instead of the coilovers, they are shown in my gallery above the front stock coilovers (in red).
Sorry about the other lift mentioned, I dont know much about it.
I have heard little about the skyjacker except that its very expensive. Although it was featured on Trucks!

Old 10-06-2004, 08:02 PM
So I could do Procomps 6" with Dirt Logic coilovers then?

Also, is it possible to use something like the daystar spacer with an aftermarket coilover? Such as Dirt Logic, Procomp, Skyjackers coilovers etc? Would any allow this? I have to clear 37s!

Old 10-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by hoff
I have 35's on my truck with a skyjacker 6" lift, however i've seen someone with the same lift and i think a daystar level kit with 37's.
So it was a Skyjacker 6" lift, Skyjacker coilovers and Daystar 2" leveling kit for a total of around 8" right?

Do the Skyjacker coilovers allow for any additional height adjustment, like Fabtechs (so I could get 7" of lift) plus a 2" spacer for 9" overall??? That would be sweet!

~Colby

p.s. I am trying to clear a 37/1350/20.... Which kit would do this best? What setup?

Old 10-07-2004, 02:34 AM
On the subject of the Fabtech... I went to a local suspension shop here in Anaheim CA... called Aggressive Suspensions... and they sell the Fabtech 6" lift... They told me it would be $1850 installed for the kit, which doesn't seem that bad, since most guys are paying $650 to install the Pro Comp.. They do a lot of dealer installs of this kit... so they've done quite a few... The guy told me if I wasn't going all out offroading, to not get the coilovers, because it will make the ride a lot stiffer, plus it will add $1k to the price of the lift... And the kicker is, he said I couldn't fit anythning bigger than 35" tire, without causing rubbing, even with the 6" lift...

I wish somebody had pics of the seperate parts of the fabtech, so I could compare them with the procomp...

Old 10-07-2004, 03:34 AM
Killer,

Not sure if it's true, but I heard someone say that Aggressive Suspensions is associated with Fabtech. Did the $1850 include the coilovers or do you have to use the stock springs. Did they say anything about the ride quality between using either the coilovers or stock springs with the lift?

Also, you should check out X-Industries in Anaheim the next time you are down. I work right next to them and the owner Rudy is a good guy.

-Chris

Old 10-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Yo Jelly, no offense but you gotta read the whole post man.
He said the coilovers would add $1k to the price and they would make the ride a lot harder. I also mentioned this above.
For all of you thinking higher than 6" I would reccomend what Skidz did on the FTW site. He put the 6" procomp with the 3" body and it looks great. A little too tall for my taste, but good none the less.
I am sure the coilovers are interchangeable since they are just bigger than the stockers and you rip the spacers out. I wouldnt suggest maxing out the coilovers though because they are meant to be used at 6 not 7. Just a thought.
Also for the back if you do anything with the coilovers I would say put an add a leaf in the rear. I am sure within the next year or two I will do the same with mine since I expect the rear springs to sag a little more giving a nose high look. I will tell you the same thing the techs told me. Buy the lift with the spacers first, see if that meets your needs and if you want you can always upgrade to the coilovers since its as simple and changing out a stock coilover. No big deal.
Honestly the spacer in front rides great and I get to keep that nice ride on the road without rattling my teeth. The stiffer rear end feels like it should have been stock. I always thought the stock was too soft and bouncy, this is great.
About larger tires...if you go bigger than 35 I would strongly reccomend regearing. The 35s with 3.73s are fine but I can see that anything bigger would cause a problem. Also the 35x12.5 do stick out a good bit even with the 5" backspacing (stick out about 1-2" outside the FX4 flares). The 35s also fill the well nicely and still allow a lot of articulation. What good are the coilovers if your tires cant move up because they are too damn big for the well. I wouldnt go any bigger than 35s if you are under 8" of lift, IMO. And once you step up to a bigger tire after a 6" lift begin to consider the costs (37" tires, new gears, body lift, warranty issues)
Sign up on FTW and give Skidz a buzz, he has the big a$$ blue Fx4, cant miss it.
I hope this helps, what else ya got?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Procomp or Fabtech