2004 - 2008 F-150

Brake Light Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Brake Light Leak

HI All,

I know it has been addressed before, however I thought'd share. Had to drop my XLT SCab off this morning for water getting in the cab, from what appears to be the break light. Hope to have it back tonight, but nothing is for sure. The Service Writer said they were goign to check around the rear window as well, because of past reported problems, although, from what I can tell, it most likely is the 3rd break light seal.

Also, geting the drivers door look at, seems to rattle, again, a reported issue.

I'll let you know if it turns out to be something other than the break light seal.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:08 PM
The dealer has my parts on order for the 3rd brake light.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:22 PM
How long have you been waiting? It is suppose to rain here all week, so I can't drive the truck.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Since last wednesday. They are supposed to call me when the part is in.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Well Zoltan, they had the seal, and it was replaced today (same day), however, when I asked about the stain on the seat back, they said they are replacing the entire seat cover, so I am without the truck for at least another day.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Did you guys get the leaks into the cab when washing or raining? Or both..?

Old 10-04-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by kamikaze2b
It had rained and the water was sitting on top of my truck. I reversed real slow then stopped and the water ran back towards the 3rd brake light and started leaking from the headliner on to my back seat. BTW, I have leather seats. I have not seen any water damage to the headliner and the dealer checked it as well. I don't think it has leaked very often during the times I have wash it or it rains. There has been times where I have heard water trickling when doing the same thing. Trickling louder than expected. Also whenever I wash the truck it looks like sometimes there are suds in the 3rd brake light.

I am really surprised there has not been damage to the headliner or blown the 3rd brake light bulb. Maybe I nipped in the bud early enough.

Old 10-05-2004, 12:44 AM
hmm, i should keep an eye on this. I noticed when i wash my truck, the 3rd break light cover gets water under it!

Old 10-05-2004, 01:13 AM
hmm, i should keep an eye on this. I noticed when i wash my truck, the 3rd brake light cover gets water under it!
Yup me too. I really sprayed water up there today to see if it would leak, and it didn't. But the water in the light isn't good either.

Old 10-05-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by kamikaze2b
I noticed it this weekend in the rain. Never noticed it when washing, however, it did rain pretty hard. My daughter got in the back, and found the seat and seat back wet.

Although, I think I may have had a leak during the most recent wash, because when I went to wipe down the glass, I thought there was a water streak on the inside, however the seat showed no signs.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I picked up my STX SCab Labor Day weekend. There was no problem after a light rain, but when I washed it I found the infamous wet back seat. After reading some posts here about the problem I pulled the light assy off (only 2 screws) to take a look. The assy has a peel and stick foam gasket around the perimeter which was poorly installed. The top edge of the gasket was not aligned with the edge. I was able to carefully lift up the gasket and re-stick it to the top edge so it would mate with the roof. Problem solved, no leaks after 2 washes.

I know I should have made the dealer fix it, but drop off and pick-up is a pain.

Old 10-05-2004, 11:20 AM
i hear ya JR, better off that way. Too much hassle to deal with them for something that was that easy.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Leaking too...

Just informing that a few weeks back (weekend of Hurricane Jeanne) my wife noticed the baby carseat wet (after 3 days of rain) ..... I tested with a house and no water seem to come in so I though maybe someone (baby) spilled somethng back there .. lately I have been busy so I took my car to a local brushless carwash ... and then WOW !! ... water coming in in the back window .. seems that is coming from the 3rd brake light .. I have an appointment with the dealer next wednesday. Let you know the veredict next week ... is Sucks! but it is the first flaw on this truck after 10,500 miles ...

later

chinin

Old 10-09-2004, 05:32 AM
Im part of his club...leaking back window/brake light. Whatever it is... I noticed something through my rear view mirror....thought it was a spider making a web until I saw it again...

I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday. I live 2 blocks from where I bought it...hope it doesnt take long. Need it fixed before rainy season.

I HOPE THIS IS ONE PROBLEM AND THE ONLY ONE I HAVE TO DEAL WITH.

I was reading about the "Vibe Tribe" those folks with vibrations. I dont know if mine does it or not, but I bet I start feeling it after I read those posts. I noticed its a bumpy ride, but I assumed it was just because its a truck and I have the tow suspension if that make it any different (stiffer maybe?).

Old 10-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A coupel weeks ago, after washing my truck, I discovered that I too have this problem of a leaking 3rd brake light. I removed the brake light and, like everyone else, found that the foam seal was not properly seated around the perimeter of the light (the top of the seal was way off).

So instead of wasting a day at the dealer, I just went down to my local Home Depot, and picked up some high quality rubber weatherseal (to be exact, it was Frost King "D" Profile X-Treme Rubber Weatherseal). I thoroughly cleaned/removed the old seal from the brake light, then applied the new stuff. I tested it out several times, and absolutely no leaks!!! I could tell just from looking at the difference in seals, that the rubber one that I installed would seal out water MUCH better than even a properly-installed factory seal would.

Quick Reply: Brake Light Leak