2004 - 2008 F-150

So, what kind of weird noises are in your '04 F150?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So, what kind of weird noises are in your '04 F150?

I went out of town this past week on about a 350 mile round trip in my '04. I know the noises are there, and granted, they're just little ones, but it's the littlest things that'll drive you up the freaking wall, no?

So, I got two little nibbles. A real light tapping noise when going over semi rough roads coming from the left rear door. And another rattle from the center of the dash, just forward of the storage tray in the center stack when driving over some fairly harsh roads. Pushing down on the center of the dash makes it go away. Haven't had the time to fix them just yet, but I will.

What about you?

Last edited by Quintin; 06-25-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don’t have any noises, quiet at all speeds and any terrain. No nibble, A/C works great etc. etc. etc. My truck’s trouble free. When I first got it, 10-24-03, there was one bad tire on the left front that was replaced around 1,000 miles. Good luck getting your concerns straightened out.

Old 06-26-2004, 06:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quintin, on your left rear door noise. Make sure when it is closed that it latches at both top and bottom. I have found that if I don't close mine fairly hard that the top latch does not latch and I get a rattle. I can easily tell this by pulling out on the upper half of the door and it will move slightly.
As far as unusual noises, at 18k I really don't have any.

Old 06-26-2004, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya I have a couple noises, down rough roads it sounds like the rear window rattles a little. Also on rough roads when I open the rear slider it sounds like something is ratttling in the bedside or tailgate.

Old 06-26-2004, 11:43 AM
No noise here...but I did have a whistle coming from the fog light area. I fixed that awhile back, thanks to someone that posted the fix here. $2.98 fix Otherwise very quiet and no strange noise. Smooth as silk

Old 06-26-2004, 12:21 PM
The headliner rattles between my sunroof and my driver's door frame. If I push on it, it goes away. Oh well, turn up the radio a little louder.

Old 06-26-2004, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And another rattle from the center of the dash, just forward of the storage tray in the center stack when driving over some fairly harsh roads. Pushing down on the center of the dash makes it go away.
I had this same rattle. They replaced the ash tray and its track. Took about 30 minutes and haven't heard a single rattle since!

I hope this helps.

-Scott

Old 06-27-2004, 10:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
kingfish sez...

Quintin, on your left rear door noise. Make sure when it is closed that it latches at both top and bottom. I have found that if I don't close mine fairly hard that the top latch does not latch and I get a rattle. I can easily tell this by pulling out on the upper half of the door and it will move slightly.
The doors are secure. Yesterday I buckled the seatbelt back there and drove it, no more rattle. Go figure?

Scott sez...

I had this same rattle. They replaced the ash tray and its track. Took about 30 minutes and haven't heard a single rattle since!
Hm, I might try that one myself

Keep 'em coming y'all...for the betterment of everyone else including myself. When we start seeing '04s in my neck of the woods, I'd really like to know what some of you guys found out when chasing your squeaks and rattles.

Old 06-27-2004, 04:52 PM
I have a faint rattle coming from the drivers side door on most any road surface. It's not to bad unless I focus in on it. I've close the rear door pretty firmly but it hasn't made the rattle go away. I plan on trying to remove the door panel on the actual drivers door becaue thats where it sounds like its coming from. I also seem to think I have wind noise from the center area of my windsheild but of course the dealership says it sounds normal.

I had a very annoying chatter/rattle coming from underneath the drivers side dash. I took it to the dealership and they kept it for 2 weeks trying to find the cause of the rattle. They called and said they had finally fixed it and when I picked the truck up I didn't make it half way home until the same noise started back. I got home and did some searching myself and by luck alone I found it. While laying in my floor board I bumped the steering shaft pretty hard with my hand and it reproduced the chatter/rattle. Some how a half roll of black electrical tape around the steering shaft made the noise go away and I haven't heard it now in over 2 months.

Old 06-27-2004, 10:38 PM
ultramaxer,

I had a faint door rattle when I first bought my truck too. Took it to the dealer and they found a loose screw inside the door. 30 mins later I was back on the road and no rattle. I did notice the in frequent rattle from under the dash today. I'll have to try the steering shaft tomorrow morning. The only other think I noticed was the slender metal rod that runs vertical along right side. Who knows but I will find it.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
I went out of town this past week on about a 350 mile round trip in my '04. I know the noises are there, and granted, they're just little ones, but it's the littlest things that'll drive you up the freaking wall, no?

So, I got two little nibbles. A real light tapping noise when going over semi rough roads coming from the left rear door. And another rattle from the center of the dash, just forward of the storage tray in the center stack when driving over some fairly harsh roads. Pushing down on the center of the dash makes it go away. Haven't had the time to fix them just yet, but I will.

What about you?
Hey Quintin,

Did you ever figure out what that rattle was that came from the center of the dash? I've developed the same thing and it seems to come from behind the radio type area. It's really bad over bumpy roads and is driving me nuts. Any tips? I'd hate to have the dealer spend a day looking for it, not finding it, or creating more noises by taking the dash apart.

Thanks,

Duke

Old 02-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin

What about you?
are you guys talking about that Black square in the center of the dash? If so, I had the same rattle noise coming from there, and would go away with just slight pressure with my finger on the center of it.

theres 2 screws holding that tray on, you have to pop off the cover that goes a long ur radio and what so first to get to the screws. The 2 screws are right in front, I took some sound deadener stuff thats suppose to go around your speakers to quite down the vibrations "dynomate" I think its called? I rapped the bottom of that tray up in that sound deadener stuff, and screwed it back into place, it was quite ever since, so if you have the some problem, try doing the same.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by lariatf150
No noise here...but I did have a whistle coming from the fog light area. I fixed that awhile back, thanks to someone that posted the fix here. $2.98 fix Otherwise very quiet and no strange noise. Smooth as silk

How the hell do you have 4x4 get 13.9 i have 2wd and get like 12.3

Old 02-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by JJG052590
How the hell do you have 4x4 get 13.9 i have 2wd and get like 12.3
My 4x4 Screw 5.4L gets 14 - city or highway, Shell or Conoco.

On the noise thing tho - I've got this strange noise I only hear once in a while. It's kind of a quick perrrrt followed by an awful odor. Only seems to happen when my wife rides with me.

**<ducks for cover>**

Old 02-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Suspended
The Foam felt under the dash near the windshield has worked it self out and into the front defroster holes, sometime's the dash rattles over bumps...only odd or strange sounds that are out of place are in the engine...

Quick Reply: So, what kind of weird noises are in your '04 F150?