2004 - 2008 F-150

Fold-A-Cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That cover looks good......I like the flush fit.

Old 02-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 150Okie
Yes the Retrax takes up 11 inches but sofar it has not been a problem.
When you want to carry a big stack of 8' sheets of plywood in your 8' box, 11" out of the box is about 11" too many.

-ii

Old 02-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by IzInBloOm
When you want to carry a big stack of 8' sheets of plywood in your 8' box, 11" out of the box is about 11" too many.

-ii
That might be true but personally I don't haul big stacks of plywood, so for ME it works.

With the Fold-a-Cover your stack can not be higher than 2 1/2 inches from the top the bedrail because the cover is still attached and the locking mechanism protrudes about that much in to the bed.

Like I said, they both good covers and it just depends what is going to work for YOU.

Frank

Old 02-16-2005, 08:24 PM
I am so close to pulling the trigger on either the Advance or the Retrax, but I keep changing my mind. I was convinced that I wanted the Retrax untill I saw the 2 piece design on the Advance cover (screw). Is the Fold-A-Cover still a 4 piece design on the screw? I am not an extreme hauler so the 11" loss on the Retrax doesn't bother me. It's the 3 extra bills that bothers me.

IzI - You spoke highly of the Advance cover features, but never said why you went with the Fold-A-Cover over it???

ARGGGGG... I am just scared of getting burned over the long haul on the Advance cover, other than that I really dig it..... but the Retrax......

Old 02-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Re: Fold-A-Cover

Originally posted by YellowFX4SCrew
Does anyone have one of these?

http://www.foldacover.com/prodinfo.html

I would like to know how they hold up. These are quite a different from Retrax and I like the fact that you can remove the whole thing. Unlike the Retrax with that 11" space used up on the front of the truck. I suppose I'm questioning the fact that my bed is short enough let alone taking another 11" away from it.
I bought one for my Flareside, sent it back after seeing that the install involved drilling holes into the rails for the mounting. The models for other bed styles use the stake pockets for mounting. Ended up getting an Extang BlackMax for the time being.

The Fold-A-Cover looked decently built from what I saw in the box, but I wouldn't know about the long-term.

I looked at the Retrax too but I would have had to do some modding of the bedliner for the canister and drain tubes.

Old 02-17-2005, 01:25 PM
I've had my 2-panel Advance cover on my Screw for almost 10 months now. It's been working great, no problems so far.

I had a RollnLock on my Sport Trac before this, and I felt the quality was lacking on that unit. It rattled badly, and the vinyl top on it faded after 1.5 years.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:03 AM
Finally caved and bought the Advance cover yesterday. I decided that the extra $300 was a bit much for the Retrax. Got it from truckstoreusa.com for $539 delivered, best deal out there. I have never dealt with this place before, hopefully all will go well with delivery. I couldn't find a review about them here, so I will let everyone know how it goes.

Is anyone interested in installation info? Instructions or photos of the install? I'll be happy to detail the process if anybody cares for it, just let me know. Should be here late next week and I'll be doing the install next weekend.

Peas Out!

Old 02-18-2005, 09:29 PM
My cousin has that exact cover on his Ram. He likes it. Though it's not 100% waterproof. Maybe 95%. But I guess what easily removable one is? He did damage it in some way right around one of the fold hinges. I can't remember if he melted the plastic somehow or just damaged it when using the truck. He's had it a couple years now and I think it may have started to form a slight sag in the middle. I'm not positive on that, but I think it did.

Old 02-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Got a K-Cover

I have the two panel K-Cover on my SCrew. Great product! Two locks for security, mine is completely waterproof although they don't guarentee it to be. Easy to take off, folds up and latches nicely and looks great. Improved my MPG by 1-2. Took me about 75 minutes to install (I took my time to make sure it sealed completely). No worries!

Quick Reply: Fold-A-Cover