2004 - 2008 F-150

Floor Shifter - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor Shifter - Yes or No?

Now that you all have had a chance to get acclimated with your trucks, for those of you with the floor shifter, if you had to do it over again, would you still get it or no?
Please give reasons as to why you would or wouldn't change your mind.

The reason I ask is I find the shifter handle itself to be rather cheap feeling and succeptable to easy breakage. I want to know if what I believe is true to a certain degree.

So what are your thoughts?

Old 01-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Don't know if this applies to me, but my '99 had the floor shifter, and I have the **** on my '04. I don't know why it is even an option. The **** is definately the way to go. Although, the floor shifter did make a great place to keep my koozie!

On road trips and hunting trips, I do travel with a cooler on the center floorboard. The floor shifter did keep if from sliding over near my feet on rough terrain and on turns, but at the same time, limited the amount of space on the floor between the two front seats.

I say get the ****, not the floor shifter.

Old 01-16-2004, 06:47 PM
Smile loose shifter

I agree the column shifter doesn't have the distinct feel of quality I would have expected in a otherwise well designed truck. I've heard this from many people who own the new 2004 F150, the "fly by wire" module used in the column shifter lacks the detents of the former cable accuated shift mechanism used on earlier models.

I just keep telling myself-I'll get use to the vague feeling of the new shifter. I sure hope it doesn't get any looser feeling when the truck gets a few more miles on it!

Old 01-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by TUFF FORD
Don't know if this applies to me, but my '99 had the floor shifter, and I have the **** on my '04. I don't know why it is even an option. The **** is definately the way to go. Although, the floor shifter did make a great place to keep my koozie!

On road trips and hunting trips, I do travel with a cooler on the center floorboard. The floor shifter did keep if from sliding over near my feet on rough terrain and on turns, but at the same time, limited the amount of space on the floor between the two front seats.

I say get the ****, not the floor shifter.
I believe that Truck of Doom was asking about the floor shifter for the transmission that is now offered on the 04. It is part of a flow through console and is very car-like.

He wasnt asking about the transfer case shifter.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:29 PM
I would go with the floor shifter.It is comfortable and adds to the looks....LOVE IT

04 SCREW LARIAT 4X4

Old 01-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Sorry fellas-

I misunderstood the floor shifter part. I'll bet there are people out there thinking, "What the hell is he talking about?!?!". And I haven't even started drinking yet.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:39 PM
I have the column shifter, because I could not see losing the the space with that center shifter. I am interested to hear what you all think after the initial coolest wears off. I do think the center shifter is purty cool.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:53 PM
I got my truck with the floor shifter. I looks real nice and get alot of comments but if I had to do it all over again I would go with the column shifter.
The floor shifter with the center console boxes in the driver and passenger. Makes you feel cramped.
You lose seating space with the floor shifter and your old lady can't get as close as she wants to ya.
And with having a fllor shifter in a truck sometimes you forget you have an automatic and throw it in reverse
I'd say drive each one and see which you like best

Old 01-16-2004, 07:55 PM
TUFF FORD Sorry fellas-

I misunderstood the floor shifter part. I'll bet there are people out there thinking, "What the hell is he talking about?!?!". And I haven't even started drinking yet.

LOL!! What a great response, Tuff!

In my opinion, I say get the floor shifter, it looks great! My only concern was the space it took up that I couldv'e used for add-on items like my lightbar switch box. But I've seen others post on the removal of the sides of the center console and how much space is in there, so I'll probably just do something that way.

If you have a current Ford now with the column shift, it WILL be awhile before you get used to NOT reaching up, and reaching DOWN instead!

Old 01-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by skipzford
And with having a floor shifter in a truck sometimes you forget you have an automatic and throw it in reverse
That's got to suc. You make some good points.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:11 PM
I have the floor shift.I like it.
It takes the work truck looks out of the interior.
My wife stopped sitting in my lap 20 years ago.
I suppose i could break the column shift **** off i tried.
I have both types floored.
I have both types floor and column shift and don't have
trouble changing between the two.Shifting into reverse
is not a problem.

Mike

Old 01-17-2004, 03:39 AM
KJB
When I bought mine off the lot, they had two Lariats. The first one I drove had the bench seat and column shifter. It was nice. Then I drove and one with the console and floor shifter. It was nicer. If I was looking for a work truck and hauling around a bunch of ironworkers, I'd get the column shifter and front bench seat, but I'm not. I'm hauling me, my wife and three dogs with a load of wood and stuff once in a while.

I've been married for eighteen years, so my wife doesn't crawl into my lap when I'm driving. We like our space and the model with the console gives us plenty. It's not exactly claustrophobic. You almost have to reach to get your elbows on the armrest and console. There's ample room for the widest of fannies

The storage in the console is big enough to stick in a small refrigerator. Some cars could use a trunk as big. I bought mine with the console and no, I wouldn't go back and change my mind if I could. I like this layout just the way it is.

Old 01-17-2004, 03:48 AM
Get the floor shifter. It's sweet.

Old 01-17-2004, 05:18 AM
The floor shifter was one of my 'must have' items, once I'd seen it. I love the look and the position matches my other car, so I always reach down. To each, his own, as the old saying goes. I don't know how susceptible the handle is to breaking, though. Have you heard of that happening to anyone?

Old 01-17-2004, 08:57 AM
I am 6'5" tall and I like having the shifter on the column. I feel you lose ALOT of cab space with the floor shifter. On long trips when I get really comfortable I find that part of my leg is in the spot where the floor shifter would be. When I am hanging out in my truck I like to be able to put my feet on the center hump also.

I vote NO to the center shifter. (But they do look sweet)

Quick Reply: Floor Shifter - Yes or No?