1997 - 2003 F-150

New Ford owner to old F150

 
  #1  
Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Ford owner to old F150

I just bought a 2002 F150 5.4l V8 Supercrew. With 86000 miles on it. Dealership did oil change and not much else. Im going to do a transmission flush, spark plugs and boots. I want to know what else I should look to service or any advice on what hoses to check or anything else to look out for. Thanks.
 
  #2  
Old 05-23-2019, 11:50 AM
glc's Avatar
glc
glc is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Posts: 38,537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure you use Motorcraft spark plugs and torque them to 28 ft/lb.
 
  #3  
Old 05-23-2019, 12:10 PM
Bluejay's Avatar
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Burleson/Athens/Brownsboro, TX
Posts: 25,539
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flush and replace coolant.
 
  #4  
Old 05-23-2019, 12:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vernon, NY
Posts: 8,910
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replace the rubber brake hoses and flush the brake fluid.

Of course, make sure to check the pad and lining thicknesses.
 
  #5  
Old 05-23-2019, 01:56 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc View Post
Make sure you use Motorcraft spark plugs and torque them to 28 ft/lb.
I just did.
 
  #6  
Old 05-23-2019, 01:58 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150 View Post
Replace the rubber brake hoses and flush the brake fluid.

Of course, make sure to check the pad and lining thicknesses.
How do I replace the hoses. I have never done that. I have bled the brake fluid though is it the same process.
 
  #7  
Old 05-23-2019, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Easton, Pa.
Posts: 5,882
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your truck should be like new at 86k.
Mine just tuned over 300k and expect it to go another 50k before forced retirement.
Engine runs like new.
The secret is oil and filter change every 5 to7k miles, and used MC 5w20 Blend oil with the 820S filters.
The rest is my ability to service issues as they occur..
I just don't want to give it up as it runs so well.
Good luck with your find.
 
  #8  
Old 05-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
Your truck should be like new at 86k.
Mine just tuned over 300k and expect it to go another 50k before forced retirement.
Engine runs like new.
The secret is oil and filter change every 5 to7k miles, and used MC 5w20 Blend oil with the 820S filters.
The rest is my ability to service issues as they occur..
I just don't want to give it up as it runs so well.
Good luck with your find.
It is like new everything is super clean and runs great. Just wanted to know what to look oit for now and at 100000 miles.
 
  #9  
Old 05-23-2019, 06:15 PM
glc's Avatar
glc
glc is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Joplin MO
Posts: 38,537
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would wait on the rubber brake hoses and brake fluid flush until it's time to replace the pads. Do it all at once.

Bleeding brakes with ABS can be tricky.
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Ford owner to old F150


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: