1997 - 2003 F-150

2000 Ford F150 5.4 2v- Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Ford F150 5.4 2v- Oil Question

Hello all, I've stalked this fourm for insight on things going on with my truck since I bought it two years ago. My baby girl is closing in on 340,000 thousand miles(the odometer cuts in and out) and has begun to develop a slight valve train tick. I am one to be very attentive to my truck so I notice anything peculiar going on. Since my ownership(I bought at 285,000 miles) I have done tons of maintenance and repairs over the past 2 years. Fix or repair daily couldn't be a truer statement regarding these trucks. But I love mine. Nevertheless, I have religiously changed the oil myself, occasionally taking it in to the lube shops when I get lazy. Anyways, it's been changed using 10w-30 for the past year. I made this change from the factory 5w-30 recommendation when my lifters starting sounding real bad on cold start ups. Since switching to 10w-30 that problem has gone away. But my question is going forward regarding the slight valve tick. Its not a big deal as the vehicle has some age on it and still runs great. But I've been told by several mechanics in higher mileage the tolerances open up and I should begin running a 10w-40 or 15w-40 to silence to tick. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by Joseph Malone; 11-05-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joseph Malone
Hello all, I've stalked this fourm for insight on things going on with my truck since I bought it two years ago. My baby girl is closing in on 340,000 thousand miles(the odometer cuts in and out) and has begun to develop a slight valve train tick. I am one to be very attentive to my truck so I notice anything peculiar going on. Since my ownership(I bought at 285,000 miles) I have done tons of maintenance and repairs over the past 2 years. Fix or repair daily couldn't be a truer statement regarding these trucks. But I love mine. Nevertheless, I have religiously changed the oil myself, occasionally taking it in to the lube shops when I get lazy. Anyways, it's been changed using 10w-30 for the past year. I made this change from the factory 5w-30 recommendation when my lifters starting sounding real bad on cold start ups. Since switching to 10w-30 that problem has gone away. But my question is going forward regarding the slight valve tick. Its not a big deal as the vehicle has some age on it and still runs great. But I've been told by several mechanics in higher mileage the tolerances open up and I should begin running a 10w-40 or 15w-40 to silence to tick. Thoughts anyone?
Sounds like you have take good care of your truck, but with over 340k on it, hmmm, you might be ready for some heavier maintenance. Yes heavier oil may work for the short term, but oil can only do so much and wear on components is still going to happen. Once wear reaches the outer limits of tolerances and beyond you are going to open the door for catastrophic damage.

You might have to consider what your long term plans are for your truck. IF...you plan on keeping it and the rest of the truck is in reasonably good shape, (meaning the frame and main mounting points for the cab and body are all good, no rust), & you plan on keeping it. Then perhaps rebuilding it or dropping in a remanufactured engine is worth it to you.

If you are only going to use it occasionally, or you don't plan on keeping it very long, the heavier oil probably will get it to last for some time yet. As long as other maintenance doesn't fall by the way side.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enriched
Sounds like you have take good care of your truck, but with over 340k on it, hmmm, you might be ready for some heavier maintenance. Yes heavier oil may work for the short term, but oil can only do so much and wear on components is still going to happen. Once wear reaches the outer limits of tolerances and beyond you are going to open the door for catastrophic damage.

You might have to consider what your long term plans are for your truck. IF...you plan on keeping it and the rest of the truck is in reasonably good shape, (meaning the frame and main mounting points for the cab and body are all good, no rust), & you plan on keeping it. Then perhaps rebuilding it or dropping in a remanufactured engine is worth it to you.

If you are only going to use it occasionally, or you don't plan on keeping it very long, the heavier oil probably will get it to last for some time yet. As long as other maintenance doesn't fall by the way side.
That is very thoughtful suggestion. However, I am interested in seeing how long the engine will last on its original components. I'm looking forward to being a million mile truck here. I have done atleast a half teardown about a year ago I replaced my intake and my valves looked brand new with very minimal wear. The truck and it's body is in great condition. I was just wondering if the thicker oil might help the developing valve tick a bit

Old 11-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
At the mileage, you expect effects of wear no matter how well the maintenance has been done but you need to do an actual test of oil pressure to see if the oil pump has wore as well as other bearing clearances.
Just playing with oil viscosity is an incomplete effort and sort of guessing.
I am at 290,000 plus have a full time oil pressure gauge installed..
At cold start the pressure goes to 75 psi. Pretty good indication there is no significant oil pump wear when it goes against the by-pass point..
Hot idle is at 25 psi. Pretty good indication at that point, bearing clearances are still close and pump is still good..
Running pressure at normal road speeds is 55psi. Pretty good indicator,.
All on 5W20.Motor Craft Bend.
If I were to see a drop in these running pressure point reading, it's a an early clue the wear will become and issue to plan for.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ford F150 5.4 2v- Oil Question