1997 - 2003 F-150

Cost for rear seals and ebrake replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost for rear seals and ebrake replacement

Hi everyone so I have a 2002 F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4 that I found out my rear axle seals were leaking. Thankfully I had an extended warranty that should cover costs of replacement for those. However I found out about this while at a ford quicklane service center and they said due to the extended warranty I had to go to the full service dept of the dealership. I went there and will have to pay diagnostic fees since they cant just take the word of the quicklane department across the parking lot. They then quoted that to fix the ebrake shoes and hardware that it would be over $500 just for the hardware kit. Does that seem right to others? Everywhere else I've looked online says parts for ebrake hardware and shoes should be about $100 and $200 total with labor. Is this just dealership markup or is there something I'm missing? The quicklane said they would have done everything including axle seals and ebrake for $550 but couldnt use the ESP which is why I went to the full service center. Any thoughts from those who've had any similar issue with fixing ebrake would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 10-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Huh?

I'd run...

I had my F150's ebrake system totally overhauled because it wasn't up to state inspection. All I had to pay was my $50 deductible.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:48 PM
So the seals should be covered. The ebrake parts aren’t covered under my ESP but need work as well. The shop said the hardware to do the ebrake was 500. I’ve told them to finish the axles once approved and I wanted to go for a second opinion estimate for the ebrake a.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
All the Emg brake hardware is surface mounted and runs inside the disc drum area.
It is seldom looked at over the life of the truck as the disc pads are an easy replace solely on the outside without taking more than the wheels off.
When parts rust and come apart they can jamb against the drum because there is not enough space for parts to fall out.
For Seal replacement the rear center section cover has to come off, fluid drained, spider gears removed, axle C clips removed to get the Axles out of the housing.
It's Seals, rear lube and labor then add labor and replacement parts for the brakes.
Vendors such as ADVANCE AUTO has all the after market brake parts.
You have to understand the dealer cost is supporting a big facility and many people, not a small shop.
As a dealer business they have to be there and charge to support the service or a customer has no warranty backup and other services for that kind of business.
Yes the cost is on the high side unless you do it yourself or have a small shop do it.
Be a little fare about your conclusions.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 10-09-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
All the Emg brake hardware is surface mounted and runs inside the disc drum area.
It is seldom looked at over the life of the truck as the disc pads are an easy replace solely on the outside without taking more than the wheels off.
When parts rust and come apart they can jamb against the drum because there is not enough space for parts to fall out.
For Seal replacement the rear center section cover has to come off, fluid drained, spider gears removed, axle C clips removed to get the Axles out of the housing.
It's Seals, rear lube and labor then add labor and replacement parts for the brakes.
Vendors such as ADVANCE AUTO has all the after market brake parts.
You have to understand the dealer cost is supporting a big facility and many people, not a small shop.
As a dealer business they have to be there and charge to support the service or a customer has no warranty backup and other services for that kind of business.
Yes the cost is on the high side unless you do it yourself or have a small shop do it.
Be a little fare about your conclusions.

I can understand some of that, so what I was being told is it’s 500 for the seals and 500 or more for the ebrake for 1000 total with 500 being covered for the seals.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:12 PM

$1k sounds about right. It would've cost me something like $700 for what Ford did with my ebrakes.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:23 PM
So what parts outside of the shoes, springs etc would need to be replaced, or is there somewhere I can find a diagram about the ebrake system to better understand what may be needed. Thanks for all the help so far!

Old 10-09-2018, 04:27 PM

For my F150, it was new pads, springs, and cables, along with misc hardware that rusted away to nothingness. They had to run new cables from the ebrake itself all the way to the rear axle then the cable from the left to the right, or that Y piece.

Glad I had the warranty, because they said it was a pain, and I can believe them, because they had the truck all day.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:32 PM
Thanks, so what would be the surface mounted hardware because through all my searching I’m just seeing a lot of shoe replacement threads and videos. Also when I try to search parts it’s just those things that come up as well. Appreciate the help.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:28 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If the seals are covered under a warranty, have those replaced and then take it to a brake shop for the ebrake repair if the truck is driveable in its current condition.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
There are springs, clips, a tie bar, auto adjusting parts etc.
Check out ADVANCE AUTO, CARQUEST, NAPA as three sources. I just checked Advance and NAPA websites.
I had to replace all of it a couple years ago because while driving a violent lockup occured while driving that often is aggravated by bumps in the road shaking the loose hardware causing a jamb. Nice to feel at 65 and 70 mph having the rear tires lockup and screech while the transmission is in gear.
It can break things you know.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 10-10-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Old 10-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Ok, those are the hardware kits I've seen, that was what was curious to me was there didn't seem to be anything else outside of that and the shoes to replace and that didnt seem right as I've replaced full drums in the ranger I had and it wasnt going to cost 500 and I was able to do it for even less. I feel like I can replace the shoes and the hardware (springs, clamps, tensioner, etc) but if there was something else major that would need looked at then I was thinking of having it done at a shop. I guess there may be more when involving the cables but cables were never discussed.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:49 PM
If your rear axle seals are leaking, your axle shafts are probably worn. Don't be surprised if one or both shafts need to be replaced, along with the bearings. The extra cost of doing so will be mostly parts, as the additional labor is minimal. Figure $100 per shaft, plus $30 for a set of bearings and seals, and an hour of labor to pull the old bearings and drive new ones, so total cost should be between $200 and $350 depending on whether both shafts need to be replaced or just one. I pulled two sets of axles in the past month, and on both of them the passenger side was ruined and the driver side was OK. If the shafts are worn and you just replace the seals, the play between the shaft and bearing is going to ruin the new seal and cause it to leak too. Ask the repair shop to inspect the axles and show you while they are out of the vehicle.

Last edited by Ed Haywood; 10-11-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Cost for rear seals and ebrake replacement