1997 - 2003 F-150

2002 Front Differential Slipping

Old 06-13-2018, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboRob79
im tempted to ask:
is it possible this truck has had an automatic locker installed in the front diff at any point in the past?
probably a stupid question to some- but i just have to ask -
I'm not sure the answer to your question. I'm not even sure how I would tell if that was the case. As my screen name indicates, I'm pretty new to trucks, so the 4x4 stuff I'm trying to figure out as I go along.

One other thing I wanted to add, I turned on the truck and engaged the 4WD today (while it was still jacked, with the tire off). With the 4wd engaged I can't turn the hub at all...except when I get the differential to "pop", then I can turn it freely (still with the clicking sound).

Old 06-13-2018, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
The bigger problem as I see it now is you still want some one to tell you what's wrong instead of learning the mechanics of what your trying to deal with.
Until you do it won't get any better.

Trying to explain this complexity through this medium and have understanding is very difficult.

You still have to act on the situation.
FROM differential toward the wheel:

The small axle with the large mounting flange has a spline that engages the differential the same way the rear end axle does. Question is, is this axle loose and moving in and out? If yes the C Clip has come off.
If NO the locking sleeve on the passenger side housing is what you might be hearing.
That suggest the Actuator arm or a fault is present.
You must get this all checked out and find the cause rather than keep asking the forum what's wrong.
Do the work.
I'm sorry if it insults you but going at it the way you have so far is not solving your problem.
Good luck.
No insult taken. I'm self-taught, and done very little with drivetrain stuff, so this is a new area for me. I'm happy to learn the details of what I'm working with however, trying to find that information is difficult. It's not that there isn't enough information available, it's that there is so much information available, it's hard to know what information is right and applicable to my particular situation.
Most of the research I have done on clicking sound coming from the differential points to an IWE, which I know this truck doesn't have.
If I know where to look, I'm happy to do the digging on my own, just looking for some advice on where to start (which you provided me in your most recent comment).

Old 06-14-2018, 02:20 AM
Well its pretty much narrowed down to you opening up the front diff cover and taking a look. Get yourself the required fluidz, a new gasket and the proper socket setup, drain pain, flashlight and maybe an inspection mirror and enjoy....

Old 06-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Ok, so maybe this is totally coincidental. I was out of town for a few days. Just got back and was going to pull the cover off my differential to see what I was dealing with. I drained out all the fluid (which was thick sludgy brown and smells like burnt paint thinner), but now I can't make the differential pop like it was before. I spent almost 10 minutes doing exactly what I was doing before and can't get the same result. Is it possible that the sludgy differential fluid was causing it to slip?

Old 06-17-2018, 09:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Yes. I would say replace the fluid and clutch additive.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:51 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
No clutch additive in the FRONT diff...........

Old 06-18-2018, 10:36 AM
Ok, thanks all!

Old 06-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
See why I kept banging at you to use common sense instead of asking for the answer to your issue?
Only you could find it.
We can't take things apart from a keyboard.
Likely the passenger side Spline link was not fully dis-engaging. That would be mostly lube related.
I would take the extra effort to flush out with Kerosene before putting the cover back on then install the Lube.
Good luck.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
See why I kept banging at you to use common sense instead of asking for the answer to your issue?
Only you could find it.
We can't take things apart from a keyboard.
Likely the passenger side Spline link was not fully dis-engaging. That would be mostly lube related.
I would take the extra effort to flush out with Kerosene before putting the cover back on then install the Lube.
Good luck.
Thanks again for all of the assistance.
As a follow-up, I never actually took the cover off, just removed the drain plug to drain the fluid. Should I actually pull the cover off and clean it out, or is draining it and flushing with kerosene sufficient?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Front Differential Slipping