1997 - 2003 F-150

Need help starting my truck

Old 05-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need help starting my truck

I screwed up and disassembled the wiring harness that connects to the
ignition switch and now have a bunch of color coded wires that are hanging
down. I can still turn the switch with the key and the engine cranks, but it
won't start. I know it is because there is no power going to the coil packs.
What combination of those wires do I connect to get this POS started?
Please help me, I am stuck at a Love's truck stop and have been for 5 days
now.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
This is without a doubt the most unusual request for help I have ever saw.
A little digging shows you have I believe a 2000. You did not give any of that info.

You may have Passive Anti Theft. That mean unless you get it all back together, the motor will never start.
Without PATS functioning, the computer does not receive the code to allow starting.
Without the code, fuel is inhibited therefore no start.
As Far as no power to the coils, if your sure, then it's not getting through the ignition switch or a fuse is blown. Either way, no PATS no start.

Coils and fuel injectors are both powered from the same fused source through the ignition switch.
You begin to see the predicament your in.
The photo I believe shows 7 leads. I don't know where they go without positive color codes and where they terminate at.

Without accurate info I can't run down the leads in the schematic and be sure.
If I could, I would send the info to the Truck Stop's e-mail addressed to you.
I don't know how to be of any more help without accurate info you could follow.
Better to bite the bullet and have the truck delivered somewhere that has a better chance of solving the issue.
Not to be-labor the issue but you got yourself deeper into the sand by trying to jump or fix a system that cannot be jumped.
The Theft system needs the key code detected by the PATS transceiver to formulate a code to the computer for starting.
It's meant to be this tough or it would not be worth anything as a theft deterrent.
Good luck.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
This is without a doubt the most unusual request for help I have ever saw.
A little digging shows you have I believe a 2000. You did not give any of that info.

You may have Passive Anti Theft. That mean unless you get it all back together, the motor will never start.
Without PATS functioning, the computer does not receive the code to allow starting.
Without the code, fuel is inhibited therefore no start.
As Far as no power to the coils, if your sure, then it's not getting through the ignition switch or a fuse is blown. Either way, no PATS no start.

Coils and fuel injectors are both powered from the same fused source through the ignition switch.
You begin to see the predicament your in.
The photo I believe shows 7 leads. I don't know where they go without positive color codes and where they terminate at.

Without accurate info I can't run down the leads in the schematic and be sure.
If I could, I would send the info to the Truck Stop's e-mail addressed to you.
I don't know how to be of any more help without accurate info you could follow.
Better to bite the bullet and have the truck delivered somewhere that has a better chance of solving the issue.
Not to be-labor the issue but you got yourself deeper into the sand by trying to jump or fix a system that cannot be jumped.
The Theft system needs the key code detected by the PATS transceiver to formulate a code to the computer for starting.
It's meant to be this tough or it would not be worth anything as a theft deterrent.
Good luck.
You have just assisted the slowest car theft in all time

Old 05-24-2018, 04:15 PM
Thank you for replying first of all. Secondly after further research and dismemberment of my steering column, I have I've come to realize that the wires that I took a photograph of go to the steering wheel for the cruise control. They have nothing to do with the starter. I track down the three connections that come from my steering column /ignition switch and disconnected those. They are couplers. What I need to know if you can help me is how do I bypass the PATS? Also if I cannot bypass that system can I buy a new ignition wiring harness to plug into my existing cylinder? there has got to be some way to bypass that system please tell me there is. Thank you so much for your time I really appreciate it

Old 05-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I have told you and described in my reply how the PATS works and why it cannot be bypassed.
You posted on another board and was told the same thing.

Said another way; if PATS does not work, the engine computer will not have 'bits' set in it's ID word to allow fuel injection to the motor.

You cannot bypass this action in any simple way from outside.
It's not a matter of doing anything with wires.

What you can do is turn the ignition to ON only and see if the Theft lamp flashes a two digit code after about a minute. This is the self check time interval. If it does not pass, the Theft light should flash a two digit code indicating a trouble with the PATS system.
At least you would get that far in trouble shooting.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help starting my truck