1997 - 2003 F-150

Unable to rotate engine by hand after valve seals replaced

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unable to rotate engine by hand after valve seals replaced

2002 V6 Manual

Not sure what went wrong but I was on my last cylinder of a valve seal replacement and tried to rotate engine by hand to get that last piston up top and it just would not budge past a certain point. In fact, it felt as though the crank bolt actually tightened slightly.

It's in neutral, all rockers, push rods and spark plugs are removed. There is 1 keeper unaccounted for but I'm having a hard time believing it could have fallen down and caused this.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2018, 01:31 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
What cylinder is coming up on TDC when the stop occurs?
Has to be that one.
Good luck

Old 02-03-2018, 12:44 PM
Good point, I'll check that out.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:28 PM
I went fishing in the cylinders with a magnet at pistons in the up position and came up empty. I even gave each a shot of compressed air while the magnet was in there.

I did however rotate the engine counterclockwise and the same hard stop occurs almost 360 degrees the other way, maybe 20 degrees short of it.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:40 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
The keeper may not be in a cylinder. If it dropped down a pushrod hole it may be jamming up the cam, balance shaft, or crankshaft.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The keeper may not be in a cylinder. If it dropped down a pushrod hole it may be jamming up the cam, balance shaft, or crankshaft.
I guess it's possible but all the pushrods were in place when this happened. I only recently removed them. I think I have access to a borescope so I'm going to give that a shot and see if it reveals anything.
Thanks!

Old 02-04-2018, 03:07 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Check to see if the lost keeper is jamming a valve spring from compressing.
Good luck.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Check to see if the lost keeper is jamming a valve spring from compressing.
Good luck.
I'll do that too.
Just had surgery but once I'm 100% I'll post what i find.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by BARECYCLES
I went fishing in the cylinders with a magnet at pistons in the up position and came up empty. I even gave each a shot of compressed air while the magnet was in there.

I did however rotate the engine counterclockwise and the same hard stop occurs almost 360 degrees the other way, maybe 20 degrees short of it.

You moved the pistons to the bottom each time you went fishing for lost parts, right?

You need the piston at the bottom so you can get all of the way around the cylinder wall. You won't get to the corner of the piston top and the cylinder wall if the piston is raised. The pistons that are at the top of the stroke right now are the ones you want to move to the bottom so you can go fishing with your magnet.

Last edited by JDStrickland; 02-06-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by JDStrickland
You moved the pistons to the bottom each time you went fishing for lost parts, right?

You need the piston at the bottom so you can get all of the way around the cylinder wall. You won't get to the corner of the piston top and the cylinder wall if the piston is raised. The pistons that are at the top of the stroke right now are the ones you want to move to the bottom so you can go fishing with your magnet.
Actually I only bottomed out the pistons on bank 1 before I ran out of time. I hurriedly did bank 2 as they were. I'll take your advice when I'm up and around and do bank 2 when the pistons are down.

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2018, 03:59 AM
I thought of something else. In tapping on the tops of the valve spring retainers to loosen the keepers before compressing the spring, would it be possible to break off a piece of the valve head? I guess I could introduce compressed air again into the last cylinders I worked on and see if much air escapes. It shouldn't since all the valves should be closed now.

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 AM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
You could borescope the cylinders.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You could borescope the cylinders.
I have a cheap one and did an initial look and really didn't see anything obvious but i'll do a more thorough look later.

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Turn the engine one way and mark where it stops, then turn it the other way and see if it stops in the same place. Also, observe the valves and see if they are closing fully, this could be a problem where the piston is hitting a valve. If the engine can go all of the way around when going backwards, then try going forward again.

Cut some sticks (dowel pin material) that are longer than the piston stroke -- if the stroke is 6 inches, cut your sticks to 10, whatever -- so they do not fall inside of the engine. Then as you turn the engine by hand, you will see which pistons are up when the crank stops turning. this will narrow your search to not more than 2 cylinders -- one is at the top of the exhaust stroke, the other is at the top of the compression stroke. You expect a valve to be open at the top of the exhaust stroke, this valve will be making the transition from open to closed, and the associated intake valve will be changing from closed to open. The piston at the top of the compression stroke should have both valves closed.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by JDStrickland
Turn the engine one way and mark where it stops, then turn it the other way and see if it stops in the same place. Also, observe the valves and see if they are closing fully, this could be a problem where the piston is hitting a valve. If the engine can go all of the way around when going backwards, then try going forward again.

I have done that and it will turn almost a full 360...I'm guessing about 20 degrees short of that.

Cut some sticks (dowel pin material) that are longer than the piston stroke -- if the stroke is 6 inches, cut your sticks to 10, whatever -- so they do not fall inside of the engine. Then as you turn the engine by hand, you will see which pistons are up when the crank stops turning. this will narrow your search to not more than 2 cylinders -- one is at the top of the exhaust stroke, the other is at the top of the compression stroke. You expect a valve to be open at the top of the exhaust stroke, this valve will be making the transition from open to closed, and the associated intake valve will be changing from closed to open. The piston at the top of the compression stroke should have both valves closed.
Good suggestion and I'll be trying that as soon as I'm 100% again.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Unable to rotate engine by hand after valve seals replaced