1997 - 2003 F-150

new here 2003 F150 4x4 supercrew overheat problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new here 2003 F150 4x4 supercrew overheat problem

I inherited a 2003 f150 4x4 supercrew pickup that was parked for 3 years, uh oh... Anyway, it was parked because it kept overheating and his mechanic couldn't find problem. I had the routine things done before trying to recreate the problem. Gas tank dropped, fuel filter changed, oil/filter change, state inspection, radiator flushed and refilled 50/50, thermostat changed just to be on the safe side. oh, it never leaked a drop of antifreeze. My mechanic never could get it to go in the red and to overheat, even after driving it daily and just sitting with it running. I picked up the truck thinking wow, I got a good deal for nothing. Not so fast! It ran for several days just fine, I would say perfectly. Then on a short trip to the grocery 5-7 minutes, it redlined and began to overheat. I stopped immediately. The radiator overflow tank did spew antifreeze. In the overflow tank the antifreeze looks muddy, I guess rust colored. I can understand there being corrosion in the motor because it sat for so long, but the original reason it was parked was for overheating. I'm not sure if I should attempt another flush, clean out the overflow tank and try again or just get a new motor. Current motor has 174,000 miles, but runs perfectly until it tries to overheat. Any guidance or pointers would be helpful.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
test the coolant for exhaust gases, to rule out head gasket

Old 01-10-2018, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Love your quote: 'It is never too late to believe in Christ our Savior.' I am a believer.

Quick Reply: new here 2003 F150 4x4 supercrew overheat problem