1997 - 2003 F-150

Need some help with my 02 f150!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with my 02 f150!!!!

the other night someone had told me my headlights were on, on my truck. And I went out there (it was raining) to try and turn them off. They wouldn't turn off at all. (Hid conversion). Tried everything I could, and finally I tried to start my truck thinking I could get them to go off and my truck would crank over but not start. Almost like the fuel pump. But the next morning I was messing with it and finally I found out the "pcm diode fuse" under the hood in the fuse box was blown. Replaced it. And it ran fine. Drove to work and my 4x4 light kept coming on and off followed by clicking on my fuse box in the cab. And my windows wouldn't roll down or up occasionally. Thought it was my GEM module and it turned out it was fine but then my 4x4 didint work so I wiggled the wires located behind the plastic kick panel on the passenger side close to the PCM and it started working. Now it just click under my steering wheel when I get done driving. Any sollutions? Tips? Maybe ground out a wire somewhere?

Old 09-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Fulkerson
the other night someone had told me my headlights were on, on my truck. And I went out there (it was raining) to try and turn them off. They wouldn't turn off at all. (Hid conversion). Tried everything I could, and finally I tried to start my truck thinking I could get them to go off and my truck would crank over but not start. Almost like the fuel pump. But the next morning I was messing with it and finally I found out the "pcm diode fuse" under the hood in the fuse box was blown. Replaced it. And it ran fine. Drove to work and my 4x4 light kept coming on and off followed by clicking on my fuse box in the cab. And my windows wouldn't roll down or up occasionally. Thought it was my GEM module and it turned out it was fine but then my 4x4 didint work so I wiggled the wires located behind the plastic kick panel on the passenger side close to the PCM and it started working. Now it just click under my steering wheel when I get done driving. Any sollutions? Tips? Maybe ground out a wire somewhere?
Yes recheck the grounds. BUT you might want to check to see if your front windshield is leaking....the water can migrate in under the dash and cause all kinds of electrical issues....usually the to the GEM.

How did you determine that the GEM was fine?

Old 09-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Never really determined the GEM was alright, took it apart didint see any burn marks or wetness. Just kind of assumed. Didint really wanna spend x amount of dollars buying something and it not work

Old 09-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Fulkerson
Never really determined the GEM was alright, took it apart didint see any burn marks or wetness. Just kind of assumed. Didint really wanna spend x amount of dollars buying something and it not work
Some report that if the inside of the GEM appeared good to just get a Q-tip and swab it down with denatured alcohol and let it dry thoroughly & buff the contacts where the harness plugs in and gotten it work again.

but even if that works ....the next rain might provide similar results if the window isn't sealed.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:01 AM
I had a similar issue with my 02. Turned out that the windshield was leaking and it flooded the fuse box itself (never had any problems with my GEM). I would second checking the windshield for leaks, but consider that the problem may actually be the fuse box.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:02 PM
I am changing my GEM RIGHT NOW for similar prob.I will update with results in a few hrs

Old 10-14-2017, 11:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The GEM controls a lot of circuits.
Especially the 4x4 and windows, wiper operation, interior light timing etc..
I have heard of the 4wd engaging by itself while driving due to a Gem fault.
As to the headlights and the conversion to Hid,,,don't know about that.
You did say it was raining at the time. Good clue.
Good luck.