1997 - 2003 F-150

98 F150 5.4 2wd Starting issue!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 F150 5.4 2wd Starting issue!

GUYS HELP ME!!! I got a 98 2wd f150 5.4 it won't start!! I put the key in act like Im about to start it and it doesn't start. There is no clicking but all my lights will come on. I've changed my alternator. I've changed and checked all my fuses connection. Cleaned my battery terminals. Changed my solenoid. My starter is not the issue I think. But when I leave the key in the ignition and tap the two solenoid bolts with metal the truck turns on!!!! What's going on?!? Another issue when the truck is on and I put it in gear such as Reverse and Drive and turn the A/C the engine stalls out (cuts off on me). Checked for check engine codes and it was cylinders 2 & 6 coil so I changed them and changed the IVAC too. I'm thinking I got a electrical shortage somewhere. But where please help me!

Old 09-16-2017, 02:34 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Sounds like two troubles.

1. Could be a faulty ignition switch or the transmission selector switch is open preventing the circuit closing through 12 volts to the start relay. The transmission selector switch closes through in Park or Neutral only.
2. The stalling can be a locked up A/C compressor when the A/C clutch pulls in.
Good luck..