1997 - 2003 F-150

2000 4.6 rough idle and surging

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 4.6 rough idle and surging

My truck has began idling rough and seems sluggish during acceleration. It seems to run smooth when the cruise control is set running about 70-75 mph. Several times while sitting at idle the truck has surged forward. If my foot was not already on the brake pedal I would most likely have rear ended the vehicle in front of me. Today it died twice while driving approximently 40 mph. The check engine light is not on and I have checked it with a scanner. No codes are thrown. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 07-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Cleaned the MAF, replaced the PCV (parts house I went to did not sell Motorcraft but it was cheap enough that I got one until I can get a Motorcraft). Replaced the PCV grommet as it was hard and brittle. Replaced the air filter. Started the truck and sprayed Berrymans B-12 Chemtool over all of the vacuum hoses and all around the intake without detecting any change in the engine idling speed. Truck runs much better but I still detect a slight miss occasionally. It also seems just a little sluggish during standstill acceleration. Regardless, I feel safe driving it until either a code is thrown or I can figure something else out.

I am questioning rather or not I have a COP starting to act up. I've seen that cause an occasional miss...

Old 07-14-2017, 06:06 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
How many miles on the spark plugs, and what brand are they? I'd put some Techron in the gas and would consider removing the throttle body and cleaning it. If you do, clean out the EGR passages in the adapter elbow and make sure the PCV hose elbow behind the throttle body isn't starting to fall apart.

I wouldn't sweat the PCV valve - it appears that there is no Motorcraft part available for the 2000 and 2001 F150. Discontinued part.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:28 PM
Got it! #4 COP was not functioning right. I played leap frog with a new COP and when I switched out #4, the truck started runnig great!
Thanks for your help!