1997 - 2003 F-150

rust prevention/removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rust prevention/removal?

I have a 2002 F-150 that has been through winters in Illinois, Utah, and now lives in a permanent spring in California. I'm interested in extending the life of the truck as long as possible. I've kept up on the routine maintenance of the vehicle.

I'm concerned about some of the rust forming on the frame--I've been searching through this forums as well as videos on YouTube on rust removal and prevention. My mechanic suggested I take a wire brush to the underside of the vehicle. Unfortunately, I'm still in the process of learning about cars. Are there any areas I need to make sure not to brush? Won't the rust immediately start re-oxidizing once I'm done? I've seen YouTube videos of people applying POR-15 and other rust converters to their frame, although I'm not certain on the effectiveness of this treatment. Some people say that this just covers up the rust, so you can't see it eating away at the frame anymore (but it's still doing it's thing).

Old 07-03-2017, 12:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I'll give you my opinion, which is all it is - I have no experience with POR-15 and have had no rust problems here in Arizona.

First, you can wire brush any metal parts of the frame itself. Be careful around wiring, hydraulic or fuel lines. If you can get down to bright, unrusted metal, that's fine, but part of the POR-15 system is a "rust neutralizer", that I understand should stop the rusting process.

Rust occurs due to the iron in steel combining with the oxygen in air, forming iron oxide. Moisture and especially salted moisture accelerates this process, so, if you can dry out the area and then keep out the oxygen, rusting should stop. Rust itself does not "eat" anything. But, rust is porous, which allows water and oxygen to penetrate to the unrusted metal. You need to stop this penetration.

Unless you live in a very humid area of California, once you have wire brushed the rusted areas, new rust should not form very quickly.

Then, I would use all three of the POR-15 products - the cleaner/degreaser, the "metal prep" and finally the "coating", following the directions carefully. There's no point in skimping on this, I know it is a bit expensive, but you have to ask yourself, "Is the truck worth it?"

If you do these steps right, the underlying metal should be dry and sealed from oxygen. Rusting should stop.

If others in the forum have different opinions, I'm sure they'll offer them.

- Jack

Old 07-12-2017, 10:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used POR-15....and getting the surface prepped is key. Agreed that to follow the suggested preparation steps.

If and when you decide to use it or any of the numerous similar products....be sure not to get it on yourself, especially the POR-15. From personal experience , That stuff does not like to come off skin once cured a bit for a very long time, weeks. You stand a pretty good chance while its is still damp. Also don't apply this with good clothes or any you really would like to keep.

If you are unsure about it (POR-15), try a small area and see what you think. unless the formulation has changed since I used it about 6yrs ago . I seem to remember that they suggest that once it is cured to top coat it with a rattle can paint. POR-15 doesn't like sunlight....but on a frame how much can it get under there with body and bed protecting it.

Old 07-29-2017, 01:02 PM
Jack,

Thanks for the response (and sorry for the delay in getting back to you)! I'm actually in coastal northern California, so fog is a common occurrence around here.

As far as my truck, I'm willing to invest a bit of money into it. I've taken very good care of it the last 15 years, and I'm interested in keeping it around longer. It also has a bit of a sentimental meaning to me as well. I'll take a look into all 3 of the POR-15 products.

Enriched,

Yes, everything I've read online about it says to make sure not to get it on you. I'll be sure to wear disposable gloves if/when I work with the product.

Thank you both for your help!

-Dan

Old 07-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
You're welcome, Dan. Since you live on the coast, you DO have more of a problem with rust than I do. It's not so much due to the fog, but the salt that's also in the air along with the moisture. It blows in along with the sea breeze.

You might be able to work on a portion at a time, cleaning it and then coating it with the rust converter/preventer. Still, if you don't wait a long time to protect it, new rust shouldn't be a huge problem.

- Jack

Old 07-29-2017, 01:41 PM
Oh yes... I remember from high school and college chemistry all about rust and oxidation. I know that salt and water are very good catalysts for oxidation--hence my concern in preventing/halting the rusting process. Photos I've shown to others (particularly to people in the Midwest, so that might be biased based on all the rust they see there) tell me that my truck looks really good, so at least I'm getting an early start on guarding against rust.