1997 - 2003 F-150

New motor cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New motor cranks but no start

I recently put a new motor in my 1997 F-150 pretty much everything that went into this motor was new. I replaced the fuel pump since I had to clean the old gas out of the tank. Everything is hooked up all fluids​ topped off but all it does is crank. I'm not getting power to the fuel pump. I've re-set the fuel pump switch. I've checked all fuses and relays. I know the pump works I've jumped that and the pickup starts right up.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The fuel pump only runs a few seconds to get the fuel pressure up and then cuts off if the engine is not running. So, I suggest you check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail. You may be able to borrow one from an auto parts store.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:13 PM
It has no power to the pump at all. No fuel pressure. Checked power at the relay and had 12 volts and relay tested good but no power going out.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Pump operation:
At key to Run, the PCM is powered up.
This grounds the pump relay for a couple second caused by a PCM timer circuit, then releases the relay.
Is that happening?
If no, is the PCM even being powered?
Is the pump relay operating?
Is there voltage at the pump relay to pass on to the pump?
Do some voltmeter checks on all these functions.
After cranking begins:
The motor crank sensor is the PCM tach pickup.
This signal at cranking causes the PCM to reground the timer circuit and operates the pump relay to pass power to the fuel pump.
Is the PCM being powered?
Is there any fuel pressure being built by either key to on or engine cranking?
There is a separate fuse that supplies power through the pump relay.
There is wiring back to the tank that may be open if there is voltage at the crash sensor at the correct times but not at the pump.
You have to diagnose according to how the system operates at key on and at cranking time.
No power to the PCM at key on will not run the pump under any circumstance.
Good luck..

Old 06-11-2017, 10:34 PM
No fuel being supplied with KOEO or when cranking. There is power to the power side of the relay (87a) the fuse is good. The relay has been replaced. The part that seems strange to me is I tested the side of the relay that should not have power (87) and I have 6.4 volts with the relay out. Now the only other thing I replaced on this pickup was the wiring harness under the hood so i could have fog lights. I took the harness out of another 1997 F-150 parts pickup. I checked all grounds all connections. The pickup I took that harness out of stated and drove in the shop. So I wouldn't thing that would have anything to do with it.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:50 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
As per reply #4, the common item is the PCM has to apply ground to the Pump relay for both key on and engine cranking.
This is because it is controlled by a timer circuit in the PCM.
If the PCM is not being powered up, it will not apply a ground to the pump relay in either case.
No fuel either way.
Re-look at his possibility.
The major reason the pump is under software control like this is due to fire under accident conditions so the pump cannot continue to run to feed a fire if the line comes apart.
It is also why all vehicles have a crash sensor to open the circuit on a hard frontal knock..
Good luck.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Got it figured out, and boy do I feel dumb, I started rechecking everything starting from the replay and tracing power back to the pump. I had power from the relay to the fuel shut off switch. So i check power on both sides of the switch to make sure that wasn't the issue. From ther I applied power from there to the connector at the pump. No power to pink/black wire. Thought something seems strange so i moved back about 4 or 5 inches and I had power. So I decided to do the "five pound pull test" (what I should have done to start with instead of assuming the worst) Sure enough the wire was broken inside the connector. Never seen them break there before. So I have two donor pickups and took the pig tail off the harness of one of them and wired it, pickup took right off. Drove it to town and had no issuses with the new engine. Has 28 miles on the new engine. Thanks everyone for the help.