1997 - 2003 F-150

2002 F150, turn key and nothing happens?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2002 F150, turn key and nothing happens?!?!?!?

I have a 2002 F150 with 280,xxx miles on it. It has been a great running truck for the 4+ years I have had it, with regular maintenance. Yesterday, when the truck was turned off at the gas station basically all heck broke loose. When I went to start the truck back up, I turned the key over and nothing happened except a one loud click. At first, I thought that the battery was dead and got a jump. The jump did nothing to help and my problems just kept pilling up. The anti-theft light was blinking rapidly and there was a quiet, rapid, dinging and clicking sound. The dinging was like if the key was in the ignition, even though it wasn't. The light clicking sound was like a relay clicking sound. I thought it was the anti-theft acting up as it had once before and with what I was reading on the internet. After waiting about 30 minutes of leaving it alone (this worked years ago when the anti-theft messed up), I tried to start it again. The same thing happened again, one loud click and nothing else. Now the interior lights do not work, the anti-theft light is no longer blinking or even coming on, and nothing happens when you turn the key. Turned the key back off and on and nothing, not even the clicking sound. After turning the key a few times, I decided to get a new battery hoping this would help the situation, it did not. I get a new PCM relay, did not help. I had the starter tested and it tests fine. Every time I try something else to fix the truck, the first time I turn the key I get the loud click. If I turn the key over more than once nothing happens, not even the click, until I leave it alone for a while. Always the same thing, first key turn, loud click, next 20 key turns nothing, no sound, nothing! Leave it alone for a while, come back and turn key, loud click, then nothing again. I had to get my truck towed and have no idea as to what to check/do next. Please if anyone can give any advice or suggestions, I am open to all. I have contacted the Ford dealer closest to me and they are going to charge $200 just to pull it into their garage. There is no telling what they will charge to even attempt to fix it. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
One thing that might be worthwhile to do is to put a wrench on the harmonic balancer bolt and see if the engine will turn. It could be locked up. But, it sounds like you have an electrical problem.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
tbaugh, welcome! Sorry about your problem. I moved your thread to a section where you might get more advice.

I agree with Roadie, and think you have an electrical problem that is effecting PATS as you also stated. But, I don't have any better thoughts than that.

- Jack

Old 03-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The tipoff is the interior lights going out independent of trying to crank the engine if I understand the way you posted it.
You lost power from the battery.
You have a faulty cable, a faulty connection or a faulty ground.
The rest of the circuits have to take power from this chain.
If it's missing, nothing works.
As for 200$ to get it to the shop, they run a business not a helping hand, a tow truck to run, have investment and people to pay.
So far the battery jumping and starter tests were free.
If you can't do the work, you have to contract it to a shop.
Good luck.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:02 PM
I had that problem with a 92 Mustang. It turns out the negative ground cable had broken down enough that it caused this. Test the battery cables.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Agreed with the battery cable suggestion... sounds like a bad/corroded or broken connection or line somewhere.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Any updates? I'm curious if you found the problem.