1997 - 2003 F-150

Spectra Premium gas tank and original pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spectra Premium gas tank and original pump

Just replaced my original 24.5 gal tank with a Spectra Premium F46B. Noticed the fuel pump mounting is a little different, not slightly recessed like the original tank, but higher. Everything works, just noticed that when the six pump bolts are tightened that the pump top plate bends or warps where each bolt pulls down. There is no support, and the gasket can't compress enough so the pump top looks distorted. I tightened as per Spectra Premium's directions (oem spec, 80-107 inch pounds).
Guess it's ok, but I don't like the way it distorts the pump top. Anyone ever have this happen?
I'm also fighting the front tank strap, the Taiwan made front strap seems too short. Rear one fits ok.
Thanks.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tom-rad
Just replaced my original 24.5 gal tank with a Spectra Premium F46B. Noticed the fuel pump mounting is a little different, not slightly recessed like the original tank, but higher. Everything works, just noticed that when the six pump bolts are tightened that the pump top plate bends or warps where each bolt pulls down. There is no support, and the gasket can't compress enough so the pump top looks distorted. I tightened as per Spectra Premium's directions (oem spec, 80-107 inch pounds).
Guess it's ok, but I don't like the way it distorts the pump top. Anyone ever have this happen?
I'm also fighting the front tank strap, the Taiwan made front strap seems too short. Rear one fits ok.
Thanks.
Well I would chat with where you got your tank....maybe you have gotten a defective one?? Maybe it is normal to get that kind of distortion?? IDK Maybe you didn't get the correct one or at least correct strap. Temporary fix is to get a ratchet strap if ya "gotta" have this drivable

I would investigate it because it could offer a potential leak and that is the last thing you need on a gas tank.

Of hand it seems like you have run into the down grade quality of aftermarket parts.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:57 PM
UPDATE on Spectra Premium tank for F150....

Spectra Premium customer service rep (who was very helpful) emailed me, even though it had been several months since I had spoken with him, to let me know of the correct method of tightening the fuel pump.
The bolts are supposed to be flush to the fuel pump 'hat', with only a quarter turn to snug.
This is fine, but I'm a little upset with the technical support. The rep had researched with, what I assume was their engineering dept., and informed me to tighten to factory spec. I did. Now my fuel pump is ruined.
The tank is fine quality, although not as good as OEM (has no baffle inside), several differences. The original Ford tank is a work of art in comparison, however the Spectra is much cheaper.
So, thanks to the incorrect information they provided me with, I have to drop my tank and install a new fuel pump since mine isn't sealed and I doubt I can flatten the old pump enough to seal correctly again.

Last edited by tom-rad; 04-25-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:27 PM
NVM. Is there a way to delete posts?

Last edited by MrXLT; 05-01-2017 at 08:52 PM.