F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   1997 - 2003 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/1997-2003-f-150-118/)
-   -   Keyless Entry stopped working? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/1997-2003-f-150/509885-keyless-entry-stopped-working.html)

smashclash 04-12-2016 07:44 PM

Keyless Entry stopped working?

2002 F-150 XLT. Came with factory keyless entry. The remote type, not the keypad on the door.

A few months ago I noticed the remote would not unlock or lock the doors when I pressed the remote buttons. Usually after a few tries it would work though. Fast forward to Sunday and now the remote doesn't seem to work at all.

I changed the battery in the remote. No difference. Then I then reprogrammed the remote and it worked fine locking and unlocking the door. So I thought I was in the clear. Then this [Tuesday] morning I try hitting the button on the remote and sure enough it's not doing anything.

I'm really stumped what to do here. Could the receiver in the truck be bad? The truck isn't driven a whole lot. But the battery in the truck has enough juice to start the truck. So I don't think that's the problem. Any guesses?

Will Stokes 04-13-2016 09:37 PM

My 1997 is doing the exact same thing! I have no idea what is going on. I removed the RAP module and could not did any issues there. If I press the button a whole bunch of times it will sometimes work. New batteries in all three of my remotes and they all do it.

I think it must be a problem with the module itself. Weird thing is when I took it out the truck can still run and drive. I was almost certain that they are not supposed to be able to do that when the module is removed.

mete 04-14-2016 02:41 AM

Keyless ? A German ca club recently tested numerous vehicles with keyless .They found that with a simple to make electronic gadget would let the thief open, start, and drive the vehicles !!! Still want a keyless ?

Michael Sutton 07-10-2018 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by smashclash (Post 5190359)
2002 F-150 XLT. Came with factory keyless entry. The remote type, not the keypad on the door.

A few months ago I noticed the remote would not unlock or lock the doors when I pressed the remote buttons. Usually after a few tries it would work though. Fast forward to Sunday and now the remote doesn't seem to work at all.

I changed the battery in the remote. No difference. Then I then reprogrammed the remote and it worked fine locking and unlocking the door. So I thought I was in the clear. Then this [Tuesday] morning I try hitting the button on the remote and sure enough it's not doing anything.

I'm really stumped what to do here. Could the receiver in the truck be bad? The truck isn't driven a whole lot. But the battery in the truck has enough juice to start the truck. So I don't think that's the problem. Any guesses?

my 2003 has factory keyless entry the the receiver quit working all together. I have a new module on order but I cant find anywhere on the web that says I need to have the new one programmed to work In my truck. Do you know or does anyone else know?? It’s gotta be the module because it will not enter the programming mode. I have tried every suggestion out there to no avail. An answer to my question would be appreciated.

Bluegrass 07-10-2018 10:04 PM

Keyless operation has nothing to do with the starting system if a >>>>PATS<<<< equipped Ford vehicle.
I would like to see the test format and vehicles' years and equipage for the statement of unlocking, and starting a PATS equipped system.
Believe it! it's not just a simple coded key system.
The keyless system operates on 315 mhz band in coded format.
The ignition key does not come close to working at that frequency.
If the key code does not translate in the Receiver to the proper format sent to the engine computer, the engine will not start because certain functions are inhibited for lack of coded info to the program ID block.
Pretty tough to get by this on the street by casual attempts.

ManualF150 07-11-2018 12:21 PM

It's pretty tough to just copy that format. It's not impossible, but your average thieves aren't going to bother.

Bluegrass 07-11-2018 04:56 PM

The reason I asked is as follows;
The key code is received by a receiver then translated to a digital format, sent to the PCM where it is applied to the Id block word as binary bits that are 'expected'.
If the bits do not match, fuel is inhabited.
As is well known, the Dash has to match as well.
What happens is the key has to apply power to both the key code receiver, the dash and the PCM for anything to work.

This is why those who change PCM hoping to solve some problem get surprised when the motor won't start.
Same for a dash cluster change.
It ''ain't" easy to defeat this system.