1997 - 2003 F-150

'98 F-150 Shakes

Old 09-15-2015, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '98 F-150 Shakes

Hey guys.
A couple of months ago inherited my dads '98 F-150. Its a single cab, long bed, 2wd, 4.2 V6, manual. Ever since I got it will randomly shake. The shakes are not slow though, they are very rapid in their osculations. What happens is that the cab and steering wheel start. Usually starts off small, like you were going over a large rumble strip with each tire. But then it gets worse and worse till it feels as if you are riding a wooden rollercoster in an earthquake. It usually happens around 45+ mph. It also starts sometimes if I hit a pothole just right (Im from Michigan, so very ofter). I can usually stop the shaking by quickly slowing to the 25-35 range but that sometimes dosent work till the truck comes to a complete stop. I can also stop it by going around a curve that is at least 45 degrees.

Last month i had to remove the front drivers side caliper and replace it and the pads. I drove without the caliper for a week or 2 and there was no shaking, but when replaced the shaking started back up after a couple of days. Also the truck has no power steering. (There is a leak in the gear box somewhere and I dont feel like spending $200 to replace it). I was told that that because of this it could possible the tie rod end.

Between several people telling me it could either be: powersteering, main brakes, e brake, drive shaft, rockers, and possibly just an old truck, i have no idea what to think. Im just looking for things to check for, redflags, maybe you know whats wrong or might have a "cheep" fix I would love to hear them.
I you have any questions I will respond ASAP.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be anything.

Out of round wheels, transmission issues, misfire.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
My 01 SD did something similar to me last year. It was an intermittely sticking front caliper. After driving for a period of time, check to excessive heat from the wheel (hold the back of your hand near it, don't touch anything initially, or use an IR thermometer). If a caliper is sticking, it will be substantially hotter than the rest.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The shaking may be caused by a worn out drive shaft/ universal joint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '98 F-150 Shakes