1997 - 2003 F-150

options to unbolt torque converter from flexplate w/ stuck crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
options to unbolt torque converter from flexplate w/ stuck crankshaft

I have the heads off my 1998 F-250 romeo and now I'm wanting to pull the block. Unfortunately, one of the piston heads is so badly damaged from a dropped intake valve that the crankshaft won't turn.

The only way that I know of to separate the transmission from the block is to rotate the crankshaft and remove each of the nuts from the bolts that hold the torque converter to the flexplate as each becomes visible in the access hole.

I started drilling holes in the top of the bad piston head, hoping that I could find a way to dislodge it, but that approach is starting to seem hopeless.

I'm wondering, at this point, if I raise the engine a bit, enough to get the oil pan off, will that allow me enough access from underneath to remove the piston rod from the stuck piston?

Thanks,
Steve
Kissimmee, FL

Old 07-26-2015, 01:34 PM
I'm starting to think, based on the service manuals and online posts that I'm reading, that the torque converter will slide right out of the transmission. I think I'm going to try yanking the block with the torque converter still attached to the flywheel/flexplate.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep that will work just fine

Old 07-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just be ready for an oil spill. When you separate it like that the fluid in the converter is going to leak out.

Drain the trans first if you haven't already done so, and if you are lucky the converter drain plug is in a position where you can remove it and drain the converter. (I'm pretty sure the '99's have a drain for the converter.)

Good luck.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:40 AM
I'm gonna have to pick up a 10mm 1/2" socket and a 1/2" universal socket joint to get the 2 bolts on the back side of the transmission drain pan off. Its a really tight fit between the pan and the transmission crossbeam brace.

I'll probably replace the front pump seals while I have the torque converter off.

I probably won't be able to actually pull the engine for another few weeks. I need to assemble a gantry and pick up a leveler, hoist, and engine stand first.

I'm taking videos all along that I'll probably post to Youtube once I'm done.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jgger
Just be ready for an oil spill. When you separate it like that the fluid in the converter is going to leak out.

Drain the trans first if you haven't already done so, and if you are lucky the converter drain plug is in a position where you can remove it and drain the converter. (I'm pretty sure the '99's have a drain for the converter.)

Good luck.
from my experience fluid doesnt leak out of a converter when removed from the trans, its pours out like the flood gates of he** lol.. that is if you havent drained anything.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by illness95
from my experience fluid doesnt leak out of a converter when removed from the trans, its pours out like the flood gates of he** lol.. that is if you havent drained anything.
Good judgment comes from experience................Experience comes from poor judgment!

I have a perfect picture in my mind of what you are talking about.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy a couple of big bags of no name kitty litter for the huge mess. Been there done that.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by illness95
theres no way to drain the converter, unless you got real lucky and the drain plug is at the inspection hole when it seized.

Quick Reply: options to unbolt torque converter from flexplate w/ stuck crankshaft