1997 - 2003 F-150

2002 5.4L - 170,000 Miles - Tuneup list..

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 5.4L - 170,000 Miles - Tuneup list..

So I was planning on buying a new truck this year but it's just not in the cards and I think I want to wait on the new transmission options anyways.. An 8 speed F-150 mated to a new Coyote sounds cool to me..

In the meantime I'm going to spend some money fixing some issues with my Screw. It's been a great truck. Bought it with 36 miles on it back in 2002. It's been through hell and back a couple times and just keeps running. Never left me stranded. It's has a couple things that need to be fixed though. The intake manifold has started leaking so I'm gonna go ahead and swap that out. Also popped a couple codes for EGR flow reduced and a p0000. I'm sure the throttle body is a nasty mess and causing or contributing to the EGR flow and other vacuum issues. It hasn't been pulled and cleaned in about 140K miles. I can also hear a vacuum leak and just yesterday my door acuator for the A/C defaulted to defrost so I have a feeling a hose has split. Anyways.. Since I was going to have the top of the engine off I figured I would take advantage of the working space and do a tune up.. Here's the list of items I'm thinking about now.. Love to hear some suggestions in case I have missed anything.

New Intake Manifold
New Thermostat
New Vacuum Harness
Port and polish the TB
New Motorcraft PCV
New Motorcraft Plugs
New Cops (really don't need to replace them but they have about 50K on them so.. Might as well)
Injector service kit (Link to kit on eBay here)
New idler pulley (current one is lightly squealing. Most people can't hear it but I notice little things like that lol)
New belt
Oil Change
Coolant Change
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Gotts Mod on the AI

What else?

-Kevin

Old 07-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Leave the Injectors alone unless you have a problem with them.
Also leave the TB alone unless you're just going to clean it. There's no power to be had here and unless you're a professional you'll just end up screwing up your decay rate.

Only replace the COP's with Ford Motorcraft and unless you're having an issue with them, I'd leave them alone. BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NEW COP BOOTS ON STANDBY. Chances are they will be corroded and brittle.

When you change your Coolant make sure you use distilled water. Not water from a hose like many people do. That's half the cause of problems with corrosion.

Also, at that Mileage I'd:

Bleed all the brake lines and change out the fluid.
Change the differential fluid if it hasn't been done.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the response.

The throttle body is pretty nasty looking so I'm going to clean it up. I've ported and polished several of these TBs though so not worried about that. Haven't decided whether or not I'm going to PnP it.. Just thinking about it.

This truck and the heat here and the conditions I drive in sometimes just kills the COPS. That's the only complaint I have ever had about this truck. I have swapped out at least 3 sets in the life of this truck.. Motorcraft COPS don't last any longer then the OEMs you can buy off of eBay unfortunately. I've tried both and got about the same mileage before I started popping codes. If I could find a good deal on MC Coils I would go with them again just to get the ignition back to OEM.

Agree on the coolant. I prefer to use a high quality premix though instead of jacking with mixing the ratio myself.

The brakes are another issue. The current fluid has about 36K on it and still looks good but I have been putting off replacing the ABS proportioning valve for a while. I have the dreaded pedal fade issue that plagued this gen. Tested the valve and it's definitely failed. Planning on doing a full fluid flush when I swap that out. That's a $1000.00 job though

Front and Rear Diffs and transfer case have about 55K on them now.. Was planning on knocking those out soon..

Originally Posted by Wolvee
Also leave the TB alone unless you're just going to clean it. There's no power to be had here and unless you're a professional you'll just end up screwing up your decay rate.

Only replace the COP's with Ford Motorcraft and unless you're having an issue with them, I'd leave them alone. BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NEW COP BOOTS ON STANDBY. Chances are they will be corroded and brittle.

When you change your Coolant make sure you use distilled water. Not water from a hose like many people do. That's half the cause of problems with corrosion.

Last edited by kev2126; 07-21-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:58 PM
As far as the injectors go.. I can't see how swapping out new filters, o-rings, and pintle caps could hurt... I'm pulling them out anyways so might as well.

Originally Posted by Wolvee

Old 07-21-2015, 01:45 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Old 07-21-2015, 01:55 PM

That's what I've been doing GLC.. I get mine from Global-Automotive over on eBay (LINK).. Lifetime Warranty as well.. The biggest reason why I'm going to swap these out this time is when the intake started leaking antifreeze several of the cops got a good spray and had AF sitting in the plug wells until I could get it all cleaned out... Might as well start out with a new set..

Originally Posted by glc
If you want cheap coils that have a lifetime warranty, get Araparts. They aren't any better than other cheap Chinese coils but they stand behind them.

Amazon.com: Araparts Brand Ford 4.6L 5.4L 6.8L 99 00 01 02 03 V8 Ignition Coils set of 8 DG508 DG457 IC33 DG472 DG491 F150 F250 F350 F450 F550 PICKUP Explorer Expedition Econoline Crown Victoria E150 E250 E350 Super Duty NEW FREE GREASE PACK Coil packs: Automotive

They also have V-10 sets if you want a couple spares.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Do you know of a good place to get Visteon or Motorcraft Coils that isn't going to cost a fortune?

Originally Posted by glc
If you want cheap coils that have a lifetime warranty, get Araparts. They aren't any better than other cheap Chinese coils but they stand behind them.

Amazon.com: Araparts Brand Ford 4.6L 5.4L 6.8L 99 00 01 02 03 V8 Ignition Coils set of 8 DG508 DG457 IC33 DG472 DG491 F150 F250 F350 F450 F550 PICKUP Explorer Expedition Econoline Crown Victoria E150 E250 E350 Super Duty NEW FREE GREASE PACK Coil packs: Automotive

They also have V-10 sets if you want a couple spares.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:32 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I haven't seen any low priced Visteons on line for almost 2 years now. Rock Auto has Motorcrafts for $42.79 plus shipping.

I hear that Global's customer service has gone down the toilet.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:51 PM
That sucks about Global. I've bought from him for years.

Originally Posted by glc
I haven't seen any low priced Visteons on line for almost 2 years now. Rock Auto has Motorcrafts for $42.79 plus shipping.

I hear that Global's customer service has gone down the toilet.

Last edited by kev2126; 07-21-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got a full set of motorcraft dg508 coils through DIESELFILTERSONLINE.COM for $37.89 each. It came to $303.12 with free shipping. This was $45 cheaper than amazon.

Quick Reply: 2002 5.4L - 170,000 Miles - Tuneup list..