1997 - 2003 F-150

Bushings (leaf springs)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bushings (leaf springs)

I want to replace mine... To my knowledge they don't need to be replaced until they deteriorate (won't cause any damage until they deteriorate) but I don't want it to get to that point. They are starting to squeak a lot and every time I go over a bump or even jump into the bed of my truck they're squeaking. It's almost as annoying as the exhaust manifold gasket leak.

My grandpa used to be a mechanic and said it was always a simple process to replace bushings as long as you know what you're doing. I'd rather stay away from a suspension shop as much as possible so is it as easy as cutting the old ones off and using a lubricant to get the new bushing in? I heard about getting them pressed on too. If anyone has any experience with them, I would like some input. As I said, I'd like to stay away from the shops as much as possible. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are they rusted real good? My experience has been they are not "easy" Usually the bolt is bonded to the inner sleeve of the bushing. Only way to get them off is with a rip saw and a metal cutting blade. Some times a good impact will break the bolt loose from the sleeve. But not usually.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:43 PM
The plan is to cut the old ones out. They're rusted but it's not real bad. Is it possible to knock the old ones out and then just hit the new ones in?

Old 07-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anything is possible......

just did this on my 01 with over 300k miles, had to drill out opposite ends of the bushings, then put a torch on it, big mallet and chisel to drive them out and a lot of wd40. Eventually they all came out and after cleaning the eyelets, I replaced them with some poly energy suspension bushings and put it all back together.

It would be a breeze if you have access to a press, there are a few videos on youtube that show how to use a threaded rod and an impact that just pulls it right out.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Buy new Shackles regardless. The $60 you spend will be far more valuable than the time you'll spend fighting with them. I just replaced mine when I installed my new springs.

The do come with the rear leaf bushings as well but I slid them off because I installed new springs.

Name:  BEB2607C-FFAC-427E-9F8A-27763D4A7851_zpscw2pgfj9.jpg
Views: 5148
Size:  254.9 KB

Quick Reply: Bushings (leaf springs)