F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   1997 - 2003 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/1997-2003-f-150-118/)
-   -   has anyone used 1A parts front end kit ?? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/1997-2003-f-150/505711-has-anyone-used-1a-parts-front-end-kit.html)

fastzilla 07-04-2015 12:38 AM

has anyone used 1A parts front end kit ??

There a somewhat local internet sales / repair facility that sells a front end rebuild kit which consists of upper and lower ball joints . inner and outer tie rods with sleeves . pitman arm and idler arm for the unbelievable price of 155.00 . supposedly comes with 2 year warranty on all parts under normal use . company is 1 A parts . has anyone used this stuff ?? and what results ??

88racing 07-04-2015 09:23 AM

I usually use RockAuto.com

fastzilla 07-04-2015 10:29 AM

does rockauto offer a kit at the same or close price ??

fairlaner 07-06-2015 09:45 PM

DON'T BUY CHEAP PARTS!
DON'T BUY CHEAP PARTS!!!
DON'T BUY CHEAP PARTS!!!!!

I'm yelling this at myself as much as at you ...:devil:

Some years ago, my '99 needed some front end parts. Tempted by the low price, I bought a similar kit for a similar price. When I compared the new parts to the factory parts, I wasn't sure I wanted to install them ... the factory parts just looked so much nicer! The new parts went back into the box and sat on a shelf.

Fast forward a few years, things have changed in my life and I'm only driving the truck a few thousand miles a year. I figure I'll just install the "new" parts and even if they only last 20K miles, that might be 4-5 years.

Problems appear just after the install when I discover I can't pump grease into the lower ball joints (the zerk is there, but the grease just won't go in). At 3500 miles after install (and 3 years, lol), the front end squeaked so bad I was embarrassed to drive the truck. I just replaced all the parts with Moog parts last weekend.

Cliff notes: Cheap parts may not last as long as parts of a better quality.

What quality of parts to buy may come down to your future plans for the truck ...

fastzilla 07-07-2015 09:45 AM

fairlaner , I am in a similar situation will not be driving it crazy amount of miles this truck only has 38k original on it and spent most of its life as a yard around town truck and being that I am just getting over my 2nd back surgery ( back to back ) no pun intended I just dont have a lot of spare $$ so for for just under 350 I can do pitman arm , idler arm , upper control arms , lower control arms inner and outer tie rods with sleeves basically entire front end for cheap and if they only last 20 to 30 k I am good with that

Wolvee 07-21-2015 11:50 AM

The parts can be bought cheaper online than from A1 auto. While I love their youtube videos and would like to support their business because of their Forum activity, their prices are terrible.

Mpkav 08-26-2015 05:04 PM

oops...wrong thread

Roadie 08-26-2015 06:54 PM

There is a wide variation in parts listed by rockauto. If you want the cheap stuff, they have it too.
I just replaced my tie rod ends, and idler arm with Moog parts bought there. I still need to replace my LCA ball joints with the Moog joints bought at rockauto. Upper joints are tight. Last I need to replace my driver's side bearing hub again. I bought Motorcraft this time also from rockauto. I bought some Energy Suspension sway bar end links from my local Autozone that I need to replace also. The rubber bushings were cracked all the way through and the sway bar wasn't doing anything.