1997 - 2003 F-150

Vacuum line end missing - where'd it connect?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum line end missing - where'd it connect?

some of the vacuum lines on top of engine (see pics).

** Most important, where does the white "mini" line go, once it disappears - down - between engine & firewall (item #3 in pic) - on passenger side?
** If I can't find where the white line goes (to LEFT side of image), all bets are off.

I can't see that it continues (at all), once it makes the turn down - between engine & firewall. Nor find a loose end under the truck.
In the 1st pic, you see the sheathing (black) around the white line, where it goes to the left of pic, then turns down between engine & FW.

When I gently pulled that section, there was only 6 - 8" of the white line (inside the sheathing) that went behind the engine.
The sheathing also stops - a few inches after it runs down - between engine & FW. From underneath, I can see the end of sheathing - between engine & FW, but not anything under there w/ the broken end still attached.

Possibly? that white line (& sheathing) didn't originally go down between the engine & FW? If it went somewhere on top, then broke, then fell down the back of engine, I can't find the other end attached to anything on engine's top side.

The vacuum line diagram pic I added, mentions a "vent."
Diagram's not that helpful - to me. Hope others can tell more.

1) What did the white vac. line connect to (off to left of pic., Something behind / below engine, under truck, or even above engine?

2) Need to know how white lines from each side of engine connected - before going to the rubber adapter (center of pic).
If a TEE was there (now missing)?

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:42 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
They both go to what you are calling a rubber adapter. That's the item marked MAN VAC on the diagram. I call it a vacuum tree. The white line is on the VMV, the red line is on the EGR solenoid.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks. But the main question about white (you say VMV) mini line is where it attaches - off to the left of image (where it's shown going to LEFT side of the pic - by the dashed green arrows going to the pic's left, then curve down).

On the passenger side (nor behind engine / under truck) I don't find a broken end of the white line - still attached to anything.

As said, the end of the while line's sheathing was hanging - a few inches down, on back of engine - between firewall (maybe 6 - 8", after goes behind engine). But inspecting from all angles - don't find the other broken end of white / VMV line, still connected.

Possibly, the white (VMV) line end - now hanging behind engine - originally connected on top - somewhere on passenger side. And broke / got chewed, then the loose part fell behind the engine. After hrs of searching, I don't find the point (on passenger side of engine - to the left in attached pic) with broken off part of the white line still connected.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Could be wrong, but did much holding & measuring the loose end of the white line (& its sheathing) to see how it may originally been routed.

I assumed because the loose end of sheathing curved behind the engine, it connected to something on lower firewall or somewhere behind and below the engine. That may not be so.

Looking at how the sheathing was curved at one end - and the length where curve was - the white line & sheathing may have come from the VMV on drivers side, then made a 180 & connected to the manifold vacuum ("tree" - w/ 3 tubes into it).

The part of the sheathing dangling behind the engine was obviously chewed by rodents and they may have dragged the loose end down there.

That's a more logical route for the white line than Ford using plastic mini line behind the engine, near the manifold / catal. conv., etc.

Guess I'll find out when I replace all the brittle lines & connect them as just described - then the codes keep coming back.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:14 PM
glc
There are 3 lines that are supposed to attach to the tree - one goes to the VMV (vapor management valve) which is the doohickey in your second pic - by the brake booster. Another goes to the EGR solenoid, which has a second line on it going to the EGR valve. That's in your 3rd pic.

The third line goes to the FPRC (fuel pressure regulator control), which is physically on the fuel rail, passenger side, near the firewall.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Thanks glc - a big help.
What you're saying is, the * only * route for the white line was / is between the (rubber) tree connector... and the VMV. There wasn't a 2nd leg of the white line, that Tee'd off - near the tree connection. Just that the rodent's work made it appear the white line had 2 legs, going from the tree to 2 other connections.

That the loose end of the white line (& sheathing) that's pointing off to the left in the pic, then dangled behind engine - on passenger side (opposite from the VMV), never went to a separate connection - on the passenger side (or below engine).

That would confirm what I sorta guessed - a rodent dragged the end of the broken section, so it just appeared to be routed to the passenger side & behind the engine.
Because the broken end didn't move that far over & behind the engine on its own. Once I saw the chew marks on the sheathing that was sticking behind the engine, I put 2 + 2 together (5).

Old 03-07-2015, 04:55 PM
glc
I'm going on by what I see in your routing sticker. Don't read any more into it than that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vacuum line end missing - where'd it connect?