F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   1997 - 2003 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/1997-2003-f-150-118/)
-   -   navigator front end swap? 98-02? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/1997-2003-f-150/484359-navigator-front-end-swap-98-02-a.html)

toys-n-joys 03-09-2013 10:35 PM

navigator front end swap? 98-02?

i am looking at making my truck into a street truck and i am looking into the navigator swap.

i hear most of it is a direct swap over. but the fenders are the weird part.

what fenders do people usually use? f150 or navigator?

do you have to mod them to work? i noticed the door trim the navigator has to line up with the fenders. but my f150 doesnt have that and will look out of place.

do you know what they do to the fenders or what fenders they use for the swap?

if you can help please post here or pm me

thanks

jbrew 03-10-2013 06:19 PM

Why in the world would you want to do that ? Just buy a Nav if you don't like your truck.

toys-n-joys 03-11-2013 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by jbrew (Post 4963316)
Why in the world would you want to do that ? Just buy a Nav if you don't like your truck.

the nav has the big ol 5.4 4v. i like my 20+mpg 4.2 with 40k.

i like the look of the navigator but the function of a f150. i want the captins seats from the navigator too. they feel much better on my back perfect for my daily. maybe a steering wheel and 17s from lincoln if they are dirt cheap.

i guess i will have to wait until i mount the front onto my truck to see what i could do with the fenders.

02SuperLariat 03-11-2013 01:10 PM

Buy a Lincoln Blackwood. Exactly what you are looking for.

jbrew 03-11-2013 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by toys-n-joys (Post 4963541)
the nav has the big ol 5.4 4v. i like my 20+mpg 4.2 with 40k.

i like the look of the navigator but the function of a f150. i want the captins seats from the navigator too. they feel much better on my back perfect for my daily. maybe a steering wheel and 17s from lincoln if they are dirt cheap.

i guess i will have to wait until i mount the front onto my truck to see what i could do with the fenders.

Yea, hang onto it if it gets that kind of mileage. The old 5.4L got better mileage than the 4.2L. That little engine just had to work too hard to keep all that weight in motion. I had both at one time, - got rid of the 4two tho. The old 98 was about worthless.

toys-n-joys 03-11-2013 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by jbrew (Post 4963702)
Yea, hang onto it if it gets that kind of mileage. The old 5.4L got better mileage than the 4.2L. That little engine just had to work too hard to keep all that weight in motion. I had both at one time, - got rid of the 4two tho. The old 98 was about worthless.

after owning both i like the 4.2 alot more. i can work on it easier, change plugs alot faster etc.

i dont race, pull anything, or need power of a 5.4 anymore. the 4.2 is plenty in stock form.

if you think the 4.2 gets the same mpg as a 5.4 your nuts. maybe if you haul weight the 5.4 gets better mpg. but stock to stock i dont think so. epa doesnt either. maybe your trucks had differnt gear ratios but then thats the reason not the engine.

but i dont want to go off topic. i would like info on a nvigator front end swap. i dont want advice on what car to buy or why i want to swap it.

i just want to swap it and would like info

Buxton91 03-11-2013 11:47 PM

The headlights are different, so unless you want to heavily fab your f150 fenders then you would have to use the navigator fenders. You'd pretty much need the whole navigator front clip: Hood, grille, bumper, fenders, header panel, headlights.

toys-n-joys 03-12-2013 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Buxton91 (Post 4963911)
The headlights are different, so unless you want to heavily fab your f150 fenders then you would have to use the navigator fenders. You'd pretty much need the whole navigator front clip: Hood, grille, bumper, fenders, header panel, headlights.

yea i think your right on the fender part.

i was meaning to say how do the guys who complete this swap get the fenders to flow with the f150? i noticed the navigator fenders have flares that flow with the body paneling of the navigator. but on the f150 i dont have the door moldings.

i wish i could get a good pic of what i am talking about

jbrew 03-12-2013 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by toys-n-joys (Post 4963887)
after owning both i like the 4.2 alot more. i can work on it easier, change plugs alot faster etc.

i dont race, pull anything, or need power of a 5.4 anymore. the 4.2 is plenty in stock form.

if you think the 4.2 gets the same mpg as a 5.4 your nuts. maybe if you haul weight the 5.4 gets better mpg. but stock to stock i dont think so. epa doesnt either. maybe your trucks had differnt gear ratios but then thats the reason not the engine.

but i dont want to go off topic. i would like info on a nvigator front end swap. i dont want advice on what car to buy or why i want to swap it.

i just want to swap it and would like info

I can assure I'M not nuts lol. The 5four was the bigger truck and a 4x4. The 4two was a 2wd short wheel base single cab ,-

The 4.2L

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...30-lnds-98.jpg

The 5.4L

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...940-209194.jpg

The 4.2L would get about 14/15 mpg. The 5.4L get's 16 mpg city and hw. It never changes lol.

If anyone's nuts, you are for what your trying to accomplish. WHY?

Buxton91 03-13-2013 02:13 AM

I believe you are referring to the body modelings that flush mount with the side steps? If so, it looks like those are removable.

toys-n-joys 03-13-2013 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Buxton91 (Post 4964404)
I believe you are referring to the body modelings that flush mount with the side steps? If so, it looks like those are removable.

they do look like they are. but if i remove them wouldnt the bumper be sticking out?

i will post pics when i get the clip here.

pizzaman711 03-13-2013 02:40 AM

The few I've seen done with it usually try to mask the body lines with a crazy paint job, or something else to draw your attention away from it. I've also seen some sort of flare on the rear end, most likely pulled off a navi also to make it flow better.

toys-n-joys 03-13-2013 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by jbrew (Post 4964022)
I can assure I'M not nuts lol. The 5four was the bigger truck and a 4x4. The 4two was a 2wd short wheel base single cab ,-

The 4.2L

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...30-lnds-98.jpg

The 5.4L

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...940-209194.jpg

The 4.2L would get about 14/15 mpg. The 5.4L get's 16 mpg city and hw. It never changes lol.

If anyone's nuts, you are for what your trying to accomplish. WHY?

please dont post in my thread anymore. you have nothing to add that goes with my original post. if you have usefull info for this topic post it. please leave the this car has this this has that out of here. you posted a picture of your truck with no conclusive data proving anything you claim.

i am trying to swap the naviagtor front end because i want to do it. it also looks better to me. i want to make my truck a street truck that draws attention. esp ladies attention. i did not make this thread to hear about your gas mileage in your old truck. my truck is different than yours and i get over 20mpg. i have data prooving this on a mpg fourm. but i will post that data in a different thread or pm you if you want the info.

i would like to keep this thread on topic or atleast from now on please stay on topic.

Buxton91 03-14-2013 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by toys-n-joys (Post 4964407)
they do look like they are. but if i remove them wouldnt the bumper be sticking out?

i will post pics when i get the clip here.

Not sure what you mean by the bumper. The pics I looked up of navi's had the molding just on the side of it closest to the door and ending at the fender well.

oneman3girls 05-06-2013 10:00 AM

Hi I just had mine done, what my body shop did was to cut the fenders from my f150 and attach it to the navigator fenders to make them them blend with the doors , the navigator fenders were the only difficult part , everything else is just bolt on.

Originally Posted by toys-n-joys (Post 4964410)
please dont post in my thread anymore. you have nothing to add that goes with my original post. if you have usefull info for this topic post it. please leave the this car has this this has that out of here. you posted a picture of your truck with no conclusive data proving anything you claim.

i am trying to swap the naviagtor front end because i want to do it. it also looks better to me. i want to make my truck a street truck that draws attention. esp ladies attention. i did not make this thread to hear about your gas mileage in your old truck. my truck is different than yours and i get over 20mpg. i have data prooving this on a mpg fourm. but i will post that data in a different thread or pm you if you want the info.

i would like to keep this thread on topic or atleast from now on please stay on topic.