1997 - 2003 F-150

Door panels and repairing

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Door panels and repairing

As my other thread mentioned my truck is getting all repainted so it gave me the extra little kick to fix some odds and ends. I have located new headlights, bug deflector and Muth sent me new mirror glass to replace my old ones that the backing cracked on.

My door panels have the vinyl insert peeling at the top edge. I have the door panels off and took them to 3 trim places today and all 3 said they couldn't fix them since that part cant be removed from door panel. Has anyone ever had these parts start to peel off and had them fixed? All 3 places said its common in the F150s and they recommend new door trim panels...The passenger side is just starting to bulge up indicating its ready to do the same thing.

I also found this thread so I guess I could use the short screw route and cut the pins all off if needed
https://www.f150online.com/forums/19...-question.html

I really need to set the date on the camera..LOL

Name:  100_1732Small.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  35.6 KB
Name:  100_1731Small.jpg
Views: 1778
Size:  51.8 KB

Last edited by 2000FordStyle; 06-18-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could probably do it yourself with some strong adhesive and a flat head screw driver.

My friend had the same problem in a different vehicle, and that's what we did.

Put adhesive on the back of the fabric/vinyl, and use a flathead screwdriver or flat plastic scrapper thing to push the edge of the vinyl behind the lip in the plastic of the door.

Dunno if that makes sense.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Hey, I was the one who posted that other thread. I went ahead and just cut all of the plastic pieces off, took out the panel, used a high-temp spray adhesive, wrapped the panel, popped it back in, and used hot glue to reattach it. It has held up for a few days now and looks perfect. There's no play/movement of the panel, and it doesn't rattle or anything.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM
I have the adhesive and also just borrowed a plastic welder. Will try that route first as I have lots of plastic rods to try and make it work..LOL I`m hoping to just knock out the top welds to give me enough access to the whole top edge to put adhesive all over and then reattach the plastic. It has a few pegs they didn't melt over sticking through that should give me a bit of an edge melting those down to bond them together. I have PP rods for the grey plastic and the white plastic under the vinyl I hope is the same PP plastic...

Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 AM
That sounds like it'll work! Good luck!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Well the plastic welder wasn't the best tool for the job. You had to feed the rods through the tips and it seemed like the plastic on the door was melting way faster than the rods.
I actually took a dremel drill with a small round tip grinding bit and created small circles in each welded spot so that it separated the door panel from the trim panel leaving the center plastic nub intact. This gave me access to the top edge of the panel to apply glue without taking the whole piece off. I applied glue to the panel and the trim vinyl and let it dry to tacky. Pulled the material taught and stretched over the edge and put small spring clamps along the edge all night. It held fast all along the repair section with exception of a small section that has little ripples but not bad at all. This morning I put a plastic cutting and smoothing tip on my soldering iron and went to work on it. I used some of the plastic rods and melted it on the tip first and then globbed it in each cut of weld mixing it with old plastic and door panel plastic in the process. Held each weld till melted plastic set and its holding like new again. Don't know how long it will last but way better than $300+ for new panels and not being able to find used ones locally yet..

Quick Reply: Door panels and repairing