1997 - 2003 F-150

2002 F150 FX4-What to checkout when buying?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F150 FX4-What to checkout when buying?

Hey guys, Im talking to a guy local about buying a dark blue 02 fx4. Grey interior, edge programmer, flowmaster 44 exhaust, and k&n intake, on 33's for a little over 9k. My budget was 9k so Im trying to get down to that. He said no leaks, no rust, minor wear for a 10 yo truck. 120k miles

I know GM lsx cars and some trucks in and out but new to the ford world.

My question is what are common problems to look for? Areas I definitely need to check?

Old 01-22-2012, 12:51 AM
I actually have an 02 fx4, and I got a letter in the mail from Ford about a recall on the fuel tank straps needing to be replaced because it's possible they can rust out. I personally haven't had any problems with that yet, and after owning my truck for just over a year now, I've had no problems to speak of with it.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 AM
Not sure what years are the bad ones, but some of the 5.4s have had problems spitting out plugs. Probably want to check the torque on the plugs and see if any have been repaired (if it's feasible).

I had to replace the intake manifold on my 2000 due to leaking/cracking and have seen others with the same issue, but I think they redesigned the intake by 2002, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Other than that, make sure it has good compression, no coolant in oil, tranny/transfer case shifts well, 4wd works, no excessive play in the suspension/steering, weird noises, etc...and x2 about the fuel strap recall. It's bad news bears if those fail on the road. I haven't had any issues with mine though.

Last edited by Moose_God; 01-22-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:36 AM
if it has stock rims, and you decide to upgrade, let me buy your rims

Old 01-23-2012, 06:10 AM
I always tell people to check the rear window seal, just soak it down with water and see if it leaks. When I bought mine I didn't know it leaked until 2-3 weeks after I bought it, the dealership fixed it but they didn't want to at first.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by My01SCrew
I always tell people to check the rear window seal, just soak it down with water and see if it leaks. When I bought mine I didn't know it leaked until 2-3 weeks after I bought it, the dealership fixed it but they didn't want to at first.
Almost everyone one of them are gonna leak. Both of mine have, 97 and 03. Fairly easy fix, just takes a few hours... I used the how-to here nad had it done in about 2 hours.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by 03Fx4JD
Almost everyone one of them are gonna leak. Both of mine have, 97 and 03. Fairly easy fix, just takes a few hours... I used the how-to here nad had it done in about 2 hours.
True, but if I buy a truck from a dealership I expect it to not leak and run properly. If it wouldn't have been a couple weeks after buying it I might have sucked up and fixed it myself, but that wasn't the case.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Well guys found another one I love! Is it worth the money though? Seems like it kbb retail was 13k i believe.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national

Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 PM
That's about what I paid for my 01 a couple years ago with about 73k on it. 2WD SCrew Lariat trim. I'm sure you could talk them down some.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
biggest thing you can , in my book, to ask about or better yet get, is past maintenance records. If you can see proof that it has been taken care of, that's worth something.

I ALWAYS crawl under neath and give it a look see...if there is dings and rust and oil oozing from every seem, run away, don't walk... then check the inside doors lower seem see if it starting to blister/rust.

pretend that your looking for some else...not you...then your not apt to be taken in by a good clean up & over look oozing and dings

Old 01-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Check to make sure the 4 wheel drive works properly. On mine the remote controlled side mirrors don't work. I adjust them manually. No big deal. I haven't bothered trying to fix it. Listen to the clutches in the rear in the corners if it has Traction Lock. If they are popping, it needs a fluid change minimum.

The fuel tank straps recall only applies to the trucks registered in the frozen north.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Besides test driving and looking it over very carefully, make sure everything works. Check the underside of the doors and the rocker panels for rust. Check the steering linkage, brakes, and drive shafts. Also check for leaks (trans, eng, axles). That would pretty much cover your basis. I have owned my 01 screw for 7 years now and it has been a great truck.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Don't forget the cruise control recall.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:47 PM
You should buy my 02 fx4 which is for sale

Old 02-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buying a used truck

I have always bought my used vehicles from private party sellers. I do not trust the dealers as you really have no way of knowing what kind of upkeep and maintenance and repair records. Dealers will always get way more than private party sales and you may be getting a vehicle they just picked up at an auction that someone traded in because of mechanical issues. You should certainly run a vin inspection report on any vehicle if you are not sure of the history. I will not buy anything from anyone now that I feel is not being honest, genuine or is unable to show me some repair/maintenance history on the vehicle. The kelly blue book, ect are written to help dealers collect the maximum $ they can get. I prefer the Edmunds.com resale private party values for pricing vehicles. Much more realistic and they are based on actual sales in the area you live.

I bought my 2001 4x4 5.4 xlt scab 2 months ago with 143K in near mint condition for $5800 w/a bunch of upgrades and such. It is a buyers market now. With the economy and with gas going up, I suspect more folks will be selling there gas guzzler vehicles for more fuel efficient vehicles. This is just my opinion and I am sure there are some honest dealers out there, so no offense meant.

I would do your homework and provide them with comps from the internet and edmunds and be sure to take the vehicle to a good mechanic who can provide you with a list of the various things which need attention so you can bargain the price down with a written quote of all the mechanical work needed to be done. A local dealer can tell you if the recalls have been done from the vin number. good luck

Quick Reply: 2002 F150 FX4-What to checkout when buying?