1997 - 2003 F-150

Starting the V10 swap in 99 F-150

Old 01-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Finished V10 swap in 99 F-150

FINAL EDIT 3/11/2019
My ISP stopped providing hosting services long ago, and I intended to get pictures back up, but I got full of tumors instead. I still have the truck with the same V10, but we live in Florida now with a new transmission and V10 torque converter. I will email pictures to people upon request, but I don't think I'll ever find the motivation to host the pictures again and the brain tumor has taken some of my knowledge. If I don't respond to you, don't be insulted, it's because I'm dead.

\*EDIT:
Now that this project is totally complete except for some wiring organization, I'd like to give some advice to future V10 swappers that may prevent you from re-pulling your engine or scavenging for parts:

1. Read this thread in its entirety to be prepared for what needs to be done.
2. Create clearance for the A/C compressor with the engine out.
3. Check for broken exhaust studs on "new" V10.
4. Remove the Y pipe and transmission dip stick prior to dropping in the V10.
5. Don't forget to swap flexplates if appropriate. EDIT: You'll probably want to use a torque converter that matches the V10
6. Keep your old PCM if you don't like seeing the theft light blink.
7. Get the ABS module from the donor vehicle if you want a speedometer and need to pass smog.
8. If you need to replace or reseal the A/C compressor, do it while the engine is out, because once the V10 goes in, you have to pull the radiator to remove the compressor.

*\EDIT

Well... I sucked up water and hosed my 2nd 5.4. It destroyed the crank, 2 rods, timing chains, timing chain guides and tensioners, oil pump, and probably cam bearings.

It didn't die the day I ingested the water, but just made a light rattling. I knew it wasn't a rod knock and I figured I'd just milk it till it died. Well... it seized up 200 miles from home on Christmas eve. I had started to think it would just rattle forever because I had put quite a few miles on it - I know - stupid.

The timing chains sawed lots of metal off the block and front cover, eroding the bearings and clogging the oil pump. I suddenly lost oil pressure and it seized.

Anyway, I think this truck will be more fun with some extra power, so I bought a V10, harness, and ECU today. My truck has the E4OD (EDIT: It turns out it's a 4R100) and LSD which should handle the V10 just fine. It will be a couple weeks before I get started, but I thought I'd start a thread to document the process.

Step 1. Yank the 5.4 - DONE!

Check it out... Damn packrat built this little nest under the intake in one night! Ate the knock sensor and other wires...

Here's the pics of pulling and teardown.

Anyway.. don't expect any updates for a couple weeks at least, but I'm open to questions.

Last edited by ishootstuff; 03-11-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ouch! but subbed! i eventually plan on doing this to my 97!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you have a few weeks, Take some time and clean that engine bay. LOL that thing is dirty :-)

Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by sportracer
Since you have a few weeks, Take some time and clean that engine bay. LOL that thing is dirty :-)
I plan to. I had a transmission cooler line fail and spray transmission fluid all over the engine compartment. I'll pressure wash it and then winch it back into the garage.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Man that's a big motor. Yeah, I know it's a V8 and all, but when you see it standalone like that, it just reminds one how massive these things are.

That must have been some seize to bend the rod like that. Wow!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RSchnier
Man that's a big motor. Yeah, I know it's a V8 and all, but when you see it standalone like that, it just reminds one how massive these things are.

That must have been some seize to bend the rod like that. Wow!
ive seen waaaaay worse lol! an old f-12 farmall had a rod bent in like a 45...

Old 01-14-2012, 11:19 AM

I'm sure the rods bent the day I inhaled water. I drove it that way for a month or so. The seizing was pretty uneventful. Little poof of smoke, then silence - from the truck anyway.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Interesting -- thanks. Good luck with the swap!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Just curious..how did you suck water into the intake? Where you wheeling it somewhere? I hydrolocked my 97 Firebird I had an aftermarket cai on it that ran into the fenderwell. Ran through a puddle that was up to the bottom of the door at idle speed, sputtered and died. Was able to revive it with no ill effects and put 40000 more miles on it with no problem..

Old 01-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse
Just curious..how did you suck water into the intake? Where you wheeling it somewhere? I hydrolocked my 97 Firebird I had an aftermarket cai on it that ran into the fenderwell. Ran through a puddle that was up to the bottom of the door at idle speed, sputtered and died. Was able to revive it with no ill effects and put 40000 more miles on it with no problem..
No inner fender and high-speed. Plus stupidity.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:48 PM

This is as clean as it's going to get. Those mud stains need scrubbing. Yeah.... that's not going to happen.

Yes, I will put an inner fender on the driver side when the V10 is running.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:43 PM

Step 2:

Get a V10 - Check!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
awesome!!

that wiring harness looks scary, i hate doing wiring

Old 01-21-2012, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by str8t six
that wiring harness looks scary, i hate doing wiring
Yeah, I'm a little intimidated...

Only had an hour to work on it tonight. I spent the time replacing broken exhaust studs.

Last edited by ishootstuff; 12-19-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 AM

Yesterday I swapped over parts. Mounts, oil filter adapter, and flexplate all had to swap. I also took off the intake (needs to be off for clearance) and installed new plugs. I started to work on wiring, but it hurt my brain, so I grabbed some beer and made the spacers I assume I'm going to need on the frame side of the engine mounts.

Funny story... I made the spacers from a piece of steel that I found on the side of the road when the 5.4 seized. An omen?

For anyone wanting to do this, you will NEED to have a leveler to get that V10 into the truck unless you remove the cab. I needed the engine almost vertical and I had to remove several bolts from the front and rear of the engine, as well as the harmonic dampener to get it to clear and it was still REALLY tight. I bent the A/C condenser a little. Good thing I had some wood and foam protecting it.

It's not on the mounts yet as I was pretty wiped out and wanted to end the day on a good note.

Last edited by ishootstuff; 12-19-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting the V10 swap in 99 F-150