1997 - 2003 F-150

No start issue - mech. replaced fuel pump - did not fix- LONG

Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start issue - mech. replaced fuel pump - did not fix- LONG

How upset should I be... and is it the anti-theft system?

170k miles on 5.4L. I am 2nd owner since ~127k. 2002 FX4 Supercrew

Sympton:
Suddenly started getting an intermittent no-start issue. Turns over but would not catch. Eventually started and took to mechanic. I wanted it it fixed before holidays so didnt spend alot of time looking at it on my own. NOTE - we did not notice "theft" light flashing at this time - our mistake.

Mechanic:
Always started unable to replicate but one on of the successful starts, he said it stumbled/ran rough and the fuel pressure read ~20psi. Also said that when it ran "normally", fuel pressure was ~35psi I think. His comment was that this is at the very bottom of spec; sometimes slightly below the bottom, sometimes slightly higher than the bottom range.

Attempted solution:
R&R fuel pump as it was believed to be going bad. It was replaced as was the fuel filter and the "sock/strainer" at the fuel pickup. He said the filter and strainer were both pretty clogged. Fuel filter last changed by previous owner at ~123k.

Did not solve problem. Whilst cussing, noticed "theft" light flashing rapidly - now think its the PATS and probably need to go to dealer.

Questions:
+ what is the typical lifespan of the fuel pump?
+ WHat is the fuel pressure spec/range?
+ how pissed should I be for spending ~$500k and still having this issue? Was replacing the pump just pre-emptive given mileage on truck?
+ Does this sound like a PATs issue? Is the dealer the best place to resolve possible PATs issue?
+ Once truck started, can it suddenly quit due to the PATS acting up or thinking key is missing? Dont want to suddenly lose power while going down the road.

Thanks for your patience in reading this.

Appreciate your help.

Tom

Old 12-28-2011, 02:17 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Hi Tom, you need to get perspective here.
...Very few shops have success on an intermittant issue unless they have the truck long enough to see the issue has been corrected by repeated starting or are lucky.
...The fuel pressure should always be in the 30 to 40 psi range.
...They saw low fuel so it's a legit assumption to replace the pump. What would you do?
...What is the life span of a fuel pump? Please, one of you tires can go flat at anytime, even if new.
...As for the PATS system it will only prevent starting as it is supposed to do.
..Not stall the engine once it's started. The two are not dependent on each other once the start has been completed. It has no way to know what the intent is after the motor is running.
....If the Thieft lamp is flashing it should do a two digit code after a few minutes. It is a dealer issue to take care of.
I see your upset but things are complex with your system like for everyone else and can be a hassle your not use having.
When you need to depend on a dealer for certain work, there is no alternative dispite the cost.
It's no different with any other make.
As to telling you if you should be pissed or not; it's not part of the trucks problem, it's yours.
Good luck.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluegrass:

Thanks for the voice of reason. Pissed wasn't the best word. I should have used disappointed - including at myself for not delaying the fuel pump R&R if the problem could not be replicated.

ironically - I have had no additional "no-start" issues since the one the next day after the repair.

I'll just sit tight for the moment and see if the apparent PATs issue returns with any consistency. Hate to spend time/money trouble-shooting that intermittent problem too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No start issue - mech. replaced fuel pump - did not fix- LONG