1997 - 2003 F-150

F150 4.6 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 4.6 overheating

My truck started overheating I changed the hoses and stat..flushed the radiator..checked fan clutch..took it for drive..when ever I drive over 45 mph..the heat shoots up then I slow back down and cools back down..no water in exhaust and no leaks seen around water pump any guesses or direction on what to try next?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Are you sure you have enough coolant in the system and the air is worked out?
Did it overheat before the hoses and stat change?
If yes the a good possibility is the lower section of the radiator is plugged, reducing cooling capacity.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 10-26-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Make sure the radiator is clean on the outside. If there is a build up of bugs/mud/or whatever in the cooling fins that could be the issue.

If it's clean, then let it warm up then shut it off and check the temp of the radiator at the top and bottom, they should be about the same. If the bottom is much cooler than the top, then the radiator is plugged up. It will need to be rodded or replaced.

If the fluid that came out when you flushed it was real rusty, then it could still be the water pump. Some times the impeller will corrode to the point that it can't move the coolant fast enough.

And the last dumb question......are you sure you put the stat in facing the right way?

Bluegrass is probably right about the radiator being plugged.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks yea put the t stat in right..and it did it before I did all this..when I first flushed the radiator nothing come out the drain plug..so I hooked up compressor and blew air up in to it and it drained..really hosed it out..and when flushed again it did drain out the plug..pretty nasty water etc.then ran clear big difference in temp from top hose and bottom hose when hot..I wish there was a way to check these trucks flow in radiator but all they have is the surge tank and you,ll watch it no really flow then it surges I'm used to old school radiators..so we are thinking radiator and or water pump corroded inside and not moving water at faster speeds?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
What you just posted is a plugged radiator.
Replace it and the issue is solved.
Good luck.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Glennbo
Thanks yea put the t stat in right..and it did it before I did all this..when I first flushed the radiator nothing come out the drain plug..so I hooked up compressor and blew air up in to it and it drained..really hosed it out..and when flushed again it did drain out the plug..pretty nasty water etc.then ran clear big difference in temp from top hose and bottom hose when hot..I wish there was a way to check these trucks flow in radiator but all they have is the surge tank and you,ll watch it no really flow then it surges I'm used to old school radiators..so we are thinking radiator and or water pump corroded inside and not moving water at faster speeds?
What you just posted is a plugged radiator.
Replace it and the issue is solved.
Good luck.
Bingo!

Old 10-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Do you have to replace it or have it cleaned out?what,s the cost difference or should I just turn it in and get a new reconditioned radiator

Old 10-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Shop around and compare prices. With a new one you get a warrenty.

Awhile back I bought a Modine for another vehicle I have and it was about 1/3 the price of the dealer brand, and it came with a lifetime warrenty.

Rodding out radiators is becomming a dying art. Just make some calls/searches.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: F150 4.6 overheating