1997 - 2003 F-150

2000 F150 cranks but wont start

Old 11-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F150 cranks but wont start

My 2000 F150 lariat will not start, I thought that I had run it out of gas, the fuel light came on but the gauge never got into the red area, I put gas in and it still would not start. I have checked fuel shut off switch it was not tripped. I also thought that it might be the passive anti-theft system not letting it start, but I'm still not sure that that is not the issue however the anti-theft light that flashes on the dashboard is still flashing normally. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Have you tried your spare key?
If PATS is not satisfied, no start.
Put key in, set to run and wait a few minutes then see what the light does.
If it begins to flash you have a PATS issue.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I thought of the pats but the anti-theft light was operating as normal, as I mentioned i was low on fuel enough to cause the light to come on but not really into the red, but after some discussion with my brother in-law, he suggested that it might be the fuel pump and that I should listen to see if I heard the pump engage an if not to tap on the tank with a rubber hammer to free up the fuel pump contacts, I did that and it worked if it happens again I will replace the fuel pump.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
guess what? The pump assembly has no contacts. The leads from the pump go to the top flange mounting socket.
You may have a connector issue on top outside of the tank.
Can't have possible opens and arcing inside a tank from any type splice or connectors unless you like a free ride to the Moon unannounced!
BTW the pump depends on the gas for cooling so don't run it so low on a regular basis.
The only other thing is the pump can seize from dirt that got by the pickup screen.
Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 F150 cranks but wont start