1997 - 2003 F-150

Hauling my quad in the bed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hauling my quad in the bed

Hey guys, I just removed my hard tonneau cover for the first time to haul my new quad in the bed. It fits, but just barely! The front winch bracket is the furthest forward piece on the machine, and that sits nicely touching the front of the bed about 2 inches below the top of the bed front. My rear window is not in jeopardy unless the front were to come up 2 or 3 inches and then forward.

The tailgate closes with just a little assistance. I don't have to force it, but there is definitely a little bit of backward pressure on it from the rear tires. Will this harm the tailgate latches at all?

The quad fits really snug in there. It can't move a half inch forward or backward since my bed is 6'6 and that is also the exact length of the quad. Should I be strapping the thing down anyways while driving? What do you other quad guys do?

Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Depends on how often you are going to haul it that way. I am sure and added pressure on the latch would eventually wear it out sooner but if you are going to strap it anyways just leave the gate open. I would be more worried about that winch denting the front of the bed or rubbing a hole in the bedliner if you have one.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:33 AM
strap it. better safe than sorry... Plus it will help keep it from rubbing the front of the bed on braking, and keep the pressure off the gate during acceleration.

When your ready to mod that quad come on over and give us a visit MudInMyBlood.com

Old 07-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Haha ok thanks guys. I have 29 inch MudLites on it right now, a winch and a gun rack. That's enough for now, that thing goes through ANYTHING with its locking diffs and those tires.

If I leave the tailgate down I would be worried about the gate flopping around and getting damaged. Good call about the rubbing issue though. I have the stock plastic bedliner, and I will keep an eye on the contact points.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:53 AM
as long as you arent off roading with the gate down or jumping train tracks the gate should be fine haha or you could back the quad out a bit on the gate enough to keep the gate from bouncing if ur worried and that woundnt create a pressure anywhere on the bed just make sure you strap it. Just dont put the quad in gear while hauling it.....its rough on the trans there is no need if the quad is strapped

Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 AM
It's an auto tranny with Park. Should I be hauling it in Neutral?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SkyBound85
It's an auto tranny with Park. Should I be hauling it in Neutral?
I haul my Grizzly 700 in park and strap it down. I want to take every precaution when it comes to keeping my quad in the bed.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Yeah. Mine is a Grizzly as well. Does yours fit with the tailgate up? I'm thinking I will just strap down the front end to the two front hooks on the bottom corners of the bed.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I would leave the tailgate down and put a spacer block up front to keep anything from rubbing. Yes leave it in park and put a couple of straps on it.

That's the way I used to haul mine before I added a toolbox, now I have no option but to hang it off on the tailgate.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by SkyBound85
Yeah. Mine is a Grizzly as well. Does yours fit with the tailgate up? I'm thinking I will just strap down the front end to the two front hooks on the bottom corners of the bed.
I stack two 4x6 posts at the front of the bed (so my winch doesn't grind into the box and it keeps my bumper out of my window) and I can get the tailgate closed but I only run 27'' tires.

I bought some "Bullrings" for the stake post holes and strap down to those. They are easier to reach with the quad in the bed and rated to 1000 pounds each if I remember right. I only use one strap on the back rack and attach it to my hitch.

Last edited by grizzstang; 07-26-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:31 PM
I have a bruteforce and it fits in the bed perfect, I dont ever strap it down and have never had any problems with the latches.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by rednutbow
I have a bruteforce and it fits in the bed perfect, I dont ever strap it down and have never had any problems with the latches.
Yet.............. Not strapping is asking for trouble... It's all yours so obviously you can do what you want but... If I had spent all that money on Glen's motor parts I'd strap her down

I never like to see people recommend something unsafe to other people just b/c they dont care... Just my $0.02

Old 07-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by 03Fx4JD
Yet.............. Not strapping is asking for trouble... It's all yours so obviously you can do what you want but... If I had spent all that money on Glen's motor parts I'd strap her down

I never like to see people recommend something unsafe to other people just b/c they dont care... Just my $0.02
If I thought it was anywhere close to unsafe, I wouldn't recommend it...

The ONLY way my ATV would leave the bed of my truck is if was upside-down, and ive got bigger problems if that happens!

Glens parts are not that expensive (around 900$ for cams, pistons and valve springs) its all the supporting mods!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
I hear ya... I had an 07 w/ some FCP love & plenty of other $$$ dumped in her.

Quick Reply: Hauling my quad in the bed