1997 - 2003 F-150

97' F150- 4 wheel drive issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97' F150- 4 wheel drive issues

Hey All,

Well, I've searched and searched for hours on the forum and other forums and can't find a good solution for my 4 wheel drive issue I'm having on my 97' F150 4.6L 4wd with electronic shift on the fly.

Here is the issue: When I go to switch the truck into 4wd I get no lights or any audible noises that its attepmting to shift into 4wd. Basically nothing happens. The lights do cycle when I start the truck up so I know they aren't blown out.

One thing I would like to note is the ABS light is on. I bought truck with it on and I'll assume its an ABS sensor since all brake system components are in correct working order. I'm not sure if that has any connection with the 4wd not working.

So far I've checked or replaced the following: All fuses and vac lines, replaced transfercase motor, replaced both actuators on passenger side fire wall, pulled interior 4wd switch/**** to make sure its getting power..Now I'm stumped, frustrated and tired of running to the parts store.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm thinking its either the GEM module, the actual interior switch since I'm getting nothing to happen when I switch it to 4wd..? PLEASE HELP!

I appreciate any help and information anyone may be able to give me.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:23 PM
i think there is a vacum pump that goes out on shift-of-fly but i you have the money id suggest going to a floor shift type of course its not as easy to use as the other but its more reliable but if you cant figure it out after that take it to a mechanic and sometimes new parts are bad i had the replace the 4x4 motor in my old dodge like 4 times before it was good i dont know why that happend but it did

Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Bump..Anyone?

Quick Reply: 97' F150- 4 wheel drive issues