1997 - 2003 F-150

no power steering is fun.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no power steering is fun.

so today i heard the P/S whine and thought maybe its low on fluid checked it and it was bubbly i thought thats werid and as im driving bam no power steering i call and a pump is 35 bucks with a lifetime warranty thats not bad....well then i saw it was pouring fluid so i had my g/f turn the wheel back and forth and it seems its leaking from the power steering gear box on the frame rail were the nut for the pitman arm is. and its 145 bucks plus a 233 core...they must really want that core eh?

so i bought a can of PB and i have soaked the bolts and lines twice already and im gonna do it once more 2 morro before i get taken to work. then after work at 5 gonna start on it.

shouldnt be to bad on my 97 2wd 4.6L no ABS no 4x4 its pretty easy to get to and no Clutch fan means no shroud in my way either. hopfully it wont be to bad.

anyone tackle this project and have any advice / tips??

Old 06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

just replace the seal

Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 PM
got the box. a new pitman arm. 2 qts of fluid. tail lights for the corvette. for 224.00 only took an hour to get the old one out PBing everything helped out alot. getting parts and putting it back togther took 3 hours didnt go to bad. its nice to have steering back again.

gotts the box was making all kinds of noise before it went bad.

also got a tie rod replaced under warranty it was toast i got the warranty by 7 days ha

Quick Reply: no power steering is fun.