1997 - 2003 F-150

parking/e-brake help: just failed inspection

Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I remember correctly, yes. I know with the fronts the bracket has to come off to get the rotor off. I'm pretty sure (not 100% just sitting here) the rears would be the same type of deal

Just look to see if anything is impeding the face of the rotor

Old 03-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Rears, take the 2 10mm? bolts out, slide caliper off and the rotor should come off, ideally. You might have to back off the ebrakes adjuster and bang the f out of the rotor to get it off. Antiseize the hub after so no more sticky sticky rusted rotor to hub.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks Blue... for the life of me I couldn't remember if there was a bracket, or not

Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Looks like this thread must be solved.

This is really easy and once it is apart goes back together in less than 15 minutes.

Parts at Autozone: Pads-$21 both sides, Rotor-$35 each, Shoes-$21 both sides, Brake Hardware Kit-$17 for both sides, Caliper-$35 each

Not all the parts are necessary, that would be a nearly full rebuild short of the backing plate, and caliper mounting plate.

Here are the steps to replacing the e-brake (at least on a 1997 expedition/f150).

1) block front wheels, front and back
2) loosen lug nuts
3) jack up rear end
4) Jack stands for safety
5) remove lug nuts and wheel
6) remove bolts at the back of caliper (be gentle, they snap)
7) lift caliper and pad up and out of rails
8) use some PB around the lugs to help break free the rotor/hub from the spindle, use a piece of wood and hammer to loosen the rotor. there is only one slot on a 97 in the backing bracket. Once loose use a screwdriver under the hub to shim it and gain a little leverage as it is easier to work from two sides when walking off the rotor. Chances are the shoes are a mess inside and will want to prevent you from removing the rotor. Take your time and work it loose.
9) take a picture or get a thorough look at what things look like and where your springs and adjuster go.
10) remove shoes
11) use PB plaster or some type of lubricant on any moving parts particularly around the cable and the mechanism that expand the brake shoes and lubricate them with some brake grease or even waterproof silicon.
12) Use a break hardware kit and replace everything, they are cheap
13) put it back together in reverse. Good luck

Old 03-24-2011, 11:25 PM
My cables work but my hardware, rotors, and e-brake pads were shot...I gutted the e-brakes and put the rotors on...I plan on using a line lock for mine...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: parking/e-brake help: just failed inspection