1997 - 2003 F-150

Sas

Old 10-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klitch
Honestly, If your considering a different truck, just grab a used 00-03 PSD crew cab with the 7.3 and modify that. If I had the cash and lack of attachment to my truck I would have. I'm at that # for cost now myself with the s-cab, motor, trans, suspension.
switched to visitor messages

Old 10-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
To the op i personally would shoot for enough SUSPENSION lift to clear 37's. You are going to run into some clearance issues with the crossover steering, You could run full hydo but thats expensive and normally not street legal.

Look HARD at Klitch's setup his is basically the lowest you will want to go without having to do alot of clearancing undernieth.

As far as cheap IDK my first setup was 4k and this setup is already over 6k and thats with me doing the work, but mines also on semi-built 1 tons and 44's.

Now its going up on 2.5 tons and a bigger motor. Gonna keep it on 44-47's dont want it any taller than it is now, 8.5' to the roof.
I have appx 8" lift over stock height, I barely clear everything important. though the drivers side leaf rubs the tire at full lock just like dads 00 psd.

my truck will clear 37's, I just had to trim a little bit, and have more to trim on the front inner fender area.

I spent total of about $4500-5000 to buy axles, clean up, and supply necessary suspension/steering components.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Well, I've got the truck at a friends shop now getting detailed and undercoated. There seriously isn't a single once of rust on the truck. It's gorgeous. I plan on painting it some sort of ridiculous color but for now, I'm more worried about getting this done.

So, decided that the divorced T-Case will be a good idea and a lot easier to acomplish. A friend of mine owns a company that makes and cuts driveshafts, mid shafts, cvs and that crap so rather then have to pair a mid to my t case. All I have to do is take my driveshaft and T-Case to them and they'll make **** work. I'd like to hear some pros and cons of a DT though. Cause a lot of people say it's "fun" and I'm just curious as to why. Maybe I already know but, either way I'd appreciate it.

Once I get the truck back I'm tearing down the front. I've done something like this before but it was with a yota. It wobbled a little but with the right measurements, and a little patience I should be fine.

Klitch, 4.2, you guys are champs. I read Klitches build from start to finish. That's awesome, and almost 99.9% Identical to what I'm doing. If you wouldn't mind emailing me ALL your pictures haha. (I saved everything from your posts so far) That's about the height I'm going to stick with. Then Shackle lift it a little higher in the summer. But you're right, I will be minimized at that height there to meet clearence specs. But that's fine, I'd rather have the ride height of the F250 anyways. The only real cost I'm going to have will be wheels and tires and shocks. Everything else I've either already got, or a friend will be fabbed. But both trucks are fuggin sick.

Oh a side note, I only plan on running 37's through the winter, once spring rolls around, I'll be going stupid big and running 44's probably. Again, any suggestions and help is GREATLY appreciated.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by 2/75SAS
Well, I've got the truck at a friends shop now getting detailed and undercoated. There seriously isn't a single once of rust on the truck. It's gorgeous. I plan on painting it some sort of ridiculous color but for now, I'm more worried about getting this done.

So, decided that the divorced T-Case will be a good idea and a lot easier to acomplish. A friend of mine owns a company that makes and cuts driveshafts, mid shafts, cvs and that crap so rather then have to pair a mid to my t case. All I have to do is take my driveshaft and T-Case to them and they'll make **** work. I'd like to hear some pros and cons of a DT though. Cause a lot of people say it's "fun" and I'm just curious as to why. Maybe I already know but, either way I'd appreciate it.

Once I get the truck back I'm tearing down the front. I've done something like this before but it was with a yota. It wobbled a little but with the right measurements, and a little patience I should be fine.

Klitch, 4.2, you guys are champs. I read Klitches build from start to finish. That's awesome, and almost 99.9% Identical to what I'm doing. If you wouldn't mind emailing me ALL your pictures haha. (I saved everything from your posts so far) That's about the height I'm going to stick with. Then Shackle lift it a little higher in the summer. But you're right, I will be minimized at that height there to meet clearence specs. But that's fine, I'd rather have the ride height of the F250 anyways. The only real cost I'm going to have will be wheels and tires and shocks. Everything else I've either already got, or a friend will be fabbed. But both trucks are fuggin sick.

Oh a side note, I only plan on running 37's through the winter, once spring rolls around, I'll be going stupid big and running 44's probably. Again, any suggestions and help is GREATLY appreciated.
Theres not MUCH wrong with running a divorced t-case, aslong as its mounted properly and firmly it wont have any issues. You will want to make sure that the t-case is diapered this will help keep it from moving. Normally when the motor and transmission are mounted to the frame via bushings you would keep the transmission mounted the same way. But since you will be running a divorced t-case you can get away with mounting it solidly to the frame. Then all the movement will be taken by the slip yoke. Ill be running a divorced NP205 on my truck then later changing it out for a Profab or SCS.

Another recommendation is to stick with 2.5" wide springs. F250's and F350's use 3" wide front springs and they are STIFF STIFF STIFF. Im running 10" Super lift Swamper runner springs in the front plus a 6.5" crossmember and 3" body lift. 19.5" of lift clears 49's decently.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:07 AM
2.5"s noted. Wish I could keep the leafs I have on the rear. I might just add one or two.

Do you have a pic of a decent mounting point for the t case?

Old 10-13-2010, 01:39 PM

I'd be sending you like 70 emails if i sent all those photos, only fit about 7-8 per email cause of my image size.

Now you said shackle lift, you realize then the rear shackle hanger needs changed in order to get a decent result from that?

Old 10-13-2010, 02:44 PM
2.5"s noted. Wish I could keep the leafs I have on the rear. I might just add one or two.

Do you have a pic of a decent mounting point for the t case?
The mounting point will vary depending on motor/transmission so im not really sure where would be a good spot for you but try to keep it straight in line with the transmission as possible.

You could keep the leaf springs you have and run blocks but that looks crappy imo

Old 10-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Klitch

I'd be sending you like 70 emails if i sent all those photos, only fit about 7-8 per email cause of my image size.

Now you said shackle lift, you realize then the rear shackle hanger needs changed in order to get a decent result from that?

If you've got blueprints I'll take em! The leafs I have should make mine lift fine. I could go higher with blocks but I just really don't want to. I've always been worried about block lifts. Klitch, what about just sending pictures about the important stuff. Anything you may of had to fab, or any sticky situations you may have gotten in. And can you send me a quick picture of how you connected your steering to everything? I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Old 10-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2trimble
The mounting point will vary depending on motor/transmission so im not really sure where would be a good spot for you but try to keep it straight in line with the transmission as possible.

You could keep the leaf springs you have and run blocks but that looks crappy imo
It does look crappy haha, I just posted that a second ago actually. I'll probably go with better springs to start with. Worst case scenario, I'll fab new hangers for the rear. Curious, what did you use for rear springs? Your stockers? I think I may have missed that in the 14 pages of threads haha

Old 10-13-2010, 05:31 PM
It does look crappy haha, I just posted that a second ago actually. I'll probably go with better springs to start with. Worst case scenario, I'll fab new hangers for the rear. Curious, what did you use for rear springs? Your stockers? I think I may have missed that in the 14 pages of threads haha
i have 17" replacentment leaf springs that bolt into the stock location. I was gonna do a shackle flip but didnt want the added axle wrap that causes.

(you can get a good deal on rear leaf springs at competition leaf spring) look them up and call them they normally give better prices on the phone. Tell them the measurements you are looking for and see what they can do.

well i cant send you a PM but anyways go to this site fordtruckclub.net im a moderator over there you can find build pages of me and klitchs builds there. Ill be up dating mine soon.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Klitch,

Just out of curiosity did you fab up your front hanger assembly or go with farmboy?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by harley9703
Klitch,

Just out of curiosity did you fab up your front hanger assembly or go with farmboy?
im 99.9% sure he used the farmboy fab crossmember.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:45 PM
If you've got blueprints I'll take em! The leafs I have should make mine lift fine. I could go higher with blocks but I just really don't want to. I've always been worried about block lifts. Klitch, what about just sending pictures about the important stuff. Anything you may of had to fab, or any sticky situations you may have gotten in. And can you send me a quick picture of how you connected your steering to everything? I'd REALLY appreciate it!
over at FTC I may have that picture your looking for already, check out my gallery over there

http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/g...c=2792&userid=
Originally Posted by harley9703
Klitch,

Farmboy

Old 10-15-2010, 11:58 AM
So, CHANGE OF PLANS! I was just given a set of Dana 44's off a chevy 3/4t. NO shock mounts. So, I might go with 4.2's setup and say screw the shocks for now. I'll add them and the mounts when I get a little more time and money. Plus, I'm not POSITIVE, but I'm pretty sure that this front end has the same pit arm I'd need to straight connect the steering up. Which would be wonderful. So, let me know what yall think. Pictures of the stock truck to come. I'm excited haha.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:08 PM
So, CHANGE OF PLANS! I was just given a set of Dana 44's off a chevy 3/4t. NO shock mounts. So, I might go with 4.2's setup and say screw the shocks for now. I'll add them and the mounts when I get a little more time and money. Plus, I'm not POSITIVE, but I'm pretty sure that this front end has the same pit arm I'd need to straight connect the steering up. Which would be wonderful. So, let me know what yall think. Pictures of the stock truck to come. I'm excited haha.
I personally wouldnt use a D44 of any form. If i was sticking to 38's then a D44 HD (8-lug) would be an option but would probably still go to a D60. The chevy axle with have the diff on the passanger side. Its not that big of a problem but it would be easier to use a Ford D44 or Ford D60

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sas