1997 - 2003 F-150

Hood Scoop

Old 07-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood Scoop

Does anyone have a single black hood scoop just for looks on a 97-03 F150 preferably tan, pictures appreciated thanks.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:46 PM
No. And do yourself a favour and don't put one on your truck.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by SkyBound85
No. And do yourself a favour and don't put one on your truck.
K well I saw one the other day with it and it looked badass so I'm prolly going to get one.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jordan40
Does anyone have a single black hood scoop just for looks on a 97-03 F150 preferably tan, pictures appreciated thanks.
i want the double scoops like on the trans am WS6s. LUND makes them and they are on everything but i am thinking about getting them and making them a functional ram air system. i already have a cold air intake and an intake "helper" which is kind of like ram air but not quite. but if i do get them i am drilling the holes out in the front, getting a screen to put in it, and drilling holes in my hood, them making air ducts that go right up to the holes and straight to my filter. the only probblme i am having is the holes in the hood part. my truck is an 08 and i just kind of dont wanna ruin the hood but the other side of me is saying "oh it would be worth it"

Old 07-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by timmypstyle
i want the double scoops like on the trans am WS6s. LUND makes them and they are on everything but i am thinking about getting them and making them a functional ram air system. i already have a cold air intake and an intake "helper" which is kind of like ram air but not quite. but if i do get them i am drilling the holes out in the front, getting a screen to put in it, and drilling holes in my hood, them making air ducts that go right up to the holes and straight to my filter. the only probblme i am having is the holes in the hood part. my truck is an 08 and i just kind of dont wanna ruin the hood but the other side of me is saying "oh it would be worth it"
are you talking about those $30 stick-on ones? I'll personally have to see it if you manage to get something that cheap into a functional ram-air setup.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
are you talking about those $30 stick-on ones? I'll personally have to see it if you manage to get something that cheap into a functional ram-air setup.
x2

if you are really talking about the stick on scoops, if you make them functional they will rip off driving down the road, not made to catch air.

now IMO get yourself a new hood totally. this will actually look good, and not "STUCK ON"

Old 07-12-2009, 09:36 PM
exactly. sure, a cowl hood or scoop hood can look great, but if you're going to do something, do it right and not some half-*** cheap way. trust me, more people see through it and laugh at that approach than people who actually think it looks good. put a functional one on that isn't held on by tape and you'll get the attention and performance that you're looking for. just trying to help you out man, and prevent you from making a mistake that you'll realize sooner or later.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:48 PM
well the flying off part i thought about and the 3M tape holds well but that is a lot of force lifting up on them. i think they are like $80. at least im pretty sure they are. not looking at those ones in autozone. and if i actually do it, i wanted to make them look like they are part of the hood. i mean get some silicone or SOMETHING to seal around the edges so there is no crease or gap between the scoops and the hood. i REALLY cant afford an actual ram air hood. that is like at least $400 plus most likely shipping, painting, installation. im thinking it would be at least $700 to get one and put it on. that is why i was thinking about doing a $100-$150 job. i know what you mean with the people seeing thru them but if you take the time to make it look good, it may be worth it. plus all that matters is that I like the look of it anyway. i was also thinking of possibly drilling holes to bolt them to the hood along with the 3M tape on them. if i do it i will have to test it out on back roads at different speeds to see if it pull up off the hood at all. then i may bolt them on if it comes up at all. that 3M tape is very strong, i think it may try to pull up a little bit but from my experience with it, i think it would hold on just fine. like i said the ONLY problem i am ahving is if i want to drill holes in my hood. its one of those things that if you do it, there is no going back. if it was an older truck i would have no problem doing it. or at least if it was paid off maybe. i still have 4.5 years to pay tho.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by jordan40

Take a look at LMC truck. They have several hoods with scoops.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by timmypstyle
well the flying off part i thought about and the 3M tape holds well but that is a lot of force lifting up on them. i think they are like $80. at least im pretty sure they are. not looking at those ones in autozone. and if i actually do it, i wanted to make them look like they are part of the hood. i mean get some silicone or SOMETHING to seal around the edges so there is no crease or gap between the scoops and the hood. i REALLY cant afford an actual ram air hood. that is like at least $400 plus most likely shipping, painting, installation. im thinking it would be at least $700 to get one and put it on. that is why i was thinking about doing a $100-$150 job. i know what you mean with the people seeing thru them but if you take the time to make it look good, it may be worth it. plus all that matters is that I like the look of it anyway. i was also thinking of possibly drilling holes to bolt them to the hood along with the 3M tape on them. if i do it i will have to test it out on back roads at different speeds to see if it pull up off the hood at all. then i may bolt them on if it comes up at all. that 3M tape is very strong, i think it may try to pull up a little bit but from my experience with it, i think it would hold on just fine. like i said the ONLY problem i am ahving is if i want to drill holes in my hood. its one of those things that if you do it, there is no going back. if it was an older truck i would have no problem doing it. or at least if it was paid off maybe. i still have 4.5 years to pay tho.
well your scared to drill a hole in the hood but will put on silicone and 3M super tape that will strip the clearcoat and possibly even the paint? I've seen the hood scoops you are talking about and they are too thin to attempt cutting them for functional ram air

Old 07-19-2009, 08:14 PM
why not look in the classified? or ebay? or something? there are lots of people changing things around & selling hoods.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Here is a fiberglass scoop that is glassed, filled and painted.
I like it

Old 07-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tumba
Here is a fiberglass scoop that is glassed, filled and painted.
I like it

haha these pics look like they are from the 70s. time for some new one. and please tell me you at least got new headlights by now...

Old 07-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen several people mount hoodscoops off 99 Mustang GT's on F-150's.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:58 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by wandell
I've seen several people mount hoodscoops off 99 Mustang GT's on F-150's.
same here

OP we need at least a general description of the scoop maybe you could post a picture of what you're talking about or thinking of

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood Scoop