Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

thanks....

Old 10-27-2002, 08:12 PM
FWD Truck

I seem to remember a FWD truck in the late 80s made in australia. The bed lowered all the way to the ground. I can't remember if it ever went into production though. I saw a feature on it in Dirt Rider, Dirt Bike, or Motorcross Action magazine. (It WAS a long time ago.)

Old 10-27-2002, 08:33 PM
I can feel the love......

We ---- Are ----- Family.....

Don't mind me, just trying to get my post count up WITHOUT asking any questions....

Old 10-27-2002, 08:35 PM
zbeast:

Ask any damn question you want and most likely some one will be by to answer it, or if they are like me try to give it their best shot.

There we go, another one to add to the post count WITHOUT asking any questions, I can still feel the love

Old 10-27-2002, 08:39 PM
Technically speaking, or thinking, could you not consider, temporally, the F150 a FWD when you are backing up?

Old 10-28-2002, 01:48 AM
you know what.....that's what i was thinking! (one more post count for me).

Old 10-28-2002, 09:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
zbeast,

Don't let them get you down.

I read FWD as Four Wheel Drive, not front wheel drive.

Maybe he has never seen a 4x2 truck where he is at ?? did anyone think of that ?

If FWD is 4x4 then he asked the age old question of why is a L not AWD like a GMC Cy ?

Then he is a deep thinker, not asking a stupid question.
Stupid vs Thought provoking is just a matter of perception <g>

Not like the other posters who thought that all auto trans trucks should have thier tires slashed, or why you could not get a Power Stroke with a 6 speed in a stipped down F150....now that guy asked the dumbest questions in my book.... I know opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one, and thye all stink <g>

Old 10-29-2002, 12:26 AM
The only stupid question is a question not asked.

This was a funny question, though!

j/k

Old 10-29-2002, 07:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Confucius say:

He who asks a question is ignorant for only a moment........
he who never asks is ignorant for life. <:{~

Old 10-29-2002, 08:17 PM
Thats deep

Old 10-30-2002, 04:23 PM
If it makes any difference.....I've often wondered for a long time why pickups aren't made to be Front Wheel Drive. Why NoT. All the weight is in the front and you would have a larger loading capacity on a two wheel drive. Hell, my Park Avenue Buick gets along on snow and ice better than my pickup does.

Has anyone here with lockout hubs been embarrassed when trying to leave a stop sign in the winter only to slip and slide around because you hadn't locked the hubs in? Watching all the Yugo's and Geo Metro's and Jap outfits go by ya because you hadn't kicked in 4 wheel. Even with weight in the back of my truck my car still gets around better. I still kind of cringe when its way below zero and I flip that **** to four wheel and hear all that noise from below. And now days with the little 4x4 ****, it doesn't kick in till you start moving. So if ya get stuck in two wheel....your screwed!

And contrary to peoples belief, Traction lok/Limited Slip is very tricky on snow and ice. Ya definitely gotta know what your doing or you could easily slip your rear end right into the vehicle next to you.

Old 10-30-2002, 09:03 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by DC Larson
If it makes any difference.....I've often wondered for a long time why pickups aren't made to be Front Wheel Drive. Why NoT. All the weight is in the front and you would have a larger loading capacity on a two wheel drive..
True, when you buy it all the weight is up front. What a lot of pickup truck owners don't realize is that big box in the back is to put stuff in, heavy stuff. This is what pickups were actually built for and when they are used as they were intended, then Front wheel drive don't sound so good.

"...Man, I could could never spin my tires until i went to Home depot and bought 15 bags of cement..."

Old 10-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Hey DC.....as much as I hate to admit it I drive my paid-off 93 Camry back and forth for my 40 mile (one way) commute to work for a number of reasons:

1) Cheap gas mileage
2) 5 year payments on the truck and I don't want it completely wore out before it's paid off
3) Quicker and more agile in rush hour traffic
4) Don't want some dumbass in a Beemer running into my truck

And, during winter, the front wheel drive Camry is much better in nasty weather than the two wheel drive truck even with weight in the back of the truck.

BUT.....You may have something with the front wheel drive idea. It'd be interesting to see how one of our 2 wheel drive trucks would run with front wheel drive....Not sure if I'd buy one though.....It just wouldn't be a traditional American truck.........

One final thing: the Camry has 260,000 miles on it, runs like a top, has original drive train, engine, and exhaust, and everything is still tight and functional. And even though the purchase money eventually went to Japan, the car was built in Kentucky.

Old 10-30-2002, 10:37 PM
I would have to disagree with the limited slip being tricky in the ice and snow. My truck drives excellent in the ice and snow with the limited slip and no weight in the back at all. I find it very easy to drive, more so then the Mustang I had.

The big factor of driving in ice or snow is you just have to KNOW how to drive it in regardless of limited slip or front wheel drive. I have seen my share of front wheel drive cars off in the side bank because they just didn't know how to drive in the weather.

One of the worst things to drive in the ice or snow would be a 4x4. They are great if your stuck, but other then that they weigh alot more and take longer to stop, yet you see some of these guys seem to think since it is 4x4 they can still cruise at 70mph with ice on the road. LOL, I have seem them stuck down in the banks as well. 4x4 only works in certain conditions, when there down in the bank they aint no good for getting out of ice...

Now my knocking 4x4 is only against the morons that think they have an advantage on ice and snow while regular driving. There only advantage is better traction on ice and snow while taking off, and not getting stuck where a 2WD drive might, slight incline. Other then that there is no other advantage for a 4x4 as far as ice and snow go. Out in the woods they got me beat by a mile, on regular roads with or without snow basically neck and neck.

Old 10-31-2002, 09:47 AM
Hi,

I really meant no offense about the Jap outfits. My buddy has a real nice Nissan he bought from his dad. Not sure what the model is but it's top of the line. And he gets around great in snow. My brother has a 98' Camray. I was impressed with it also. Again, no offense meant.

What I really meant is all the little cars that go by ya when I driving my F150 and (yes me) have forgot to engage the 4x4 before I came to a stop. I try not to use it like that all the time but sometimes you just have to. On flat out ice at a stop sign no matter how gingerly I apply the throttle sometimes I'll start to spin. That is when I wished I would have engaged before I stopped. I use my ol 89' Park Avenue the same reason you do Momule....save wear and tear on my pickup/investment plus the mileage.

I know how to drive with a limited slip. And I agree, you gotta know HOW to drive it, same with front wheel drive. I like going into empty parking lots after a fresh snow....gives a guy a chance to see what his outfit can do! And it s Fun. It's a lot easier gettin off a good brodie with limited slip than without!

My wife has a 92 Jeep Cherokee (hopefully we may be trading for an 02 Explorer next spring!!). When in 4x4 she loses her antilock brakes. I've told her a dozen times, just because you have 4x4, it's just four tires on ice when you come to a stop....like ANY other vehicle on the road.

I've lived out in the country most of my life and it kills me when you see a city kid go buy a new big 4x4 (first he's owned) and thinks he has control of the world when he is driving. They are the ones that you usually see layed over in the ditch in the middle if winter. And please.....I'm not knocking all city folks!

I guess I really sidetracked this thread....sorry bout that!

Quick Reply: F150 a Rear Wheel Drive ?