1997 F-150 4x2 Allowed Tire Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1997 F-150 4x2 Allowed Tire Sizes

I currently have P265 75 R16 tires on my 1997 F-150 Supercab. These tires replaced my original P255 70 R16 tires.

The extended warranty I purchased with my new truck is now being voided by AIG Insurance (my Ford dealer talked me into this warranty instead of the Ford version) because they claim my tires are oversize. I'm looking for any Ford information that would validate that P265 75 R16 tires are ok for my truck and won't cause any damage. I'm really looking for someone who has information that came directly from Ford that I can use in my lawsuit against AIG.

Old 08-16-2002, 09:50 AM
As long as your gear ration is 3.31 to 3.73, your tire size should be fine because the 265/75/16 comes stock on the 4wds, but in a 17 inch flavor, same size, somewhere around 31.8.

Old 08-16-2002, 10:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to do some research on the Magnason-Voss Warranty Act (sorry about the spelling). It basically deals with warranty concerns and aftermarket parts to protect people in your situation. Your warranty rep is shooting you a line of BS. You need to contact an attorney. Are they really trying to void your entire warranty because of larger tires? My dealership actually bought my OEM tires so I could install 33s. They were going to have their tire dept. switch them out but they couldn't get BFGs at the time.

Old 08-16-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by wandell
You need to do some research on the Magnason-Voss Warranty Act (sorry about the spelling). It basically deals with warranty concerns and aftermarket parts to protect people in your situation. Your warranty rep is shooting you a line of BS. You need to contact an attorney. Are they really trying to void your entire warranty because of larger tires? My dealership actually bought my OEM tires so I could install 33s. They were going to have their tire dept. switch them out but they couldn't get BFGs at the time.

Old 08-16-2002, 11:07 AM
Yes, the AIG Insurance company has voided my entire extended warranty because of my tire size. I have engaged an attorney that has already settled numerous cases against this company for simialr claim denials.

My current problem is proving that this tire is acceptable as far as Ford is concerned. The Ford owner's manual even makes a similar statement about tire sizes voiding the warranty. So, unless I can find some information from Ford the case will be much harder to fight.

Old 08-16-2002, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a 265/75R16 is the same diameter and width as a 265/70R17 that comes with a "off road package" approx. 31.8". So basically it would put no additional stress on the front end of a 4x4.

But I don't believe a tire that large (diameter) comes as an standard Ford option on a 4x2.

but they should. JMHO

Old 08-16-2002, 12:34 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Question

Curious as to what the gear ratio is in your truck?

This is what was available for a 1997 2wd:
18 = 3.08
19 = 3.55
H9 = 3.55LS

If your truck has the 3.55 ratio then all you have done with the larger tire is reduce the ratio closer to 3.08. I don't think it is has been reduced lower than that. I saw a calculator somewhere that would show what the revised ratio was with a tire size change.

Even still, 3.08 was a factory installed/authorized gear ratio for your truck.

Even if you do convince them that tire change doesn't hurt anything they still have every right to void your warranty for a very obvious reason.
There is no way you could still have the Factory Air in those tires.

Old 08-16-2002, 02:20 PM
Very funny. My ratio is 3.55.

Old 08-16-2002, 02:21 PM
Wandell - did your dealer have any information in their tire shop that said P26575R16 was an acceptable size for a 4x2 F-150??

Old 08-16-2002, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not really BW. They did say that is was BS because a 265 is so close to what comes on 4x2s. The service manager said he might try to void a powertrain warranty if it was a set of 38 inch Swampers or something like that, but going up a size or two was no big deal. He said that a slightly larger tire isn't going to put anymore strain on the engine or drivetrain than towing. I suggest that you call around to several of your local dealers and ask their opinions on oversize tires.

Old 08-16-2002, 04:17 PM
I think everyone here is missing the real question: What does the extended warranty state in the fine print? If it explicitly does not allow changes like this, then you are up a creek. On the other hand, if it is an interpretation, thats different. We all know what effects larger tire sizes can have, and most of them are drivability related, not longetivity or warranty related. Just some food for thought...

Old 08-21-2002, 09:06 PM
Angry allowed tire sizes

Did your engine blow because of the oversize tires. Mine did according to Americare. I have 285-75-16s on my 2000 F150 4x4. My Romeo built 4.6 liter engine spun a bearing this year and I was told that because of the tires that the warranty was voided. Gopher is right, my warranty states "any modification" is grouds for voiding the warranty. This warratny company also denied a claim for a tranmission that turned out to be a reocurring rearend problem but that is another story. I spoke with an attorney, but it turns out that I would have to go to Michigan to sue the warranty company and by the time it was all said and done I would have spent as much on the lawsuit as the newengine was going to cost. According to the warranty's wording you can't even put vent visors or nerf bars on your truck, which I have. After threatening to write letters to every automotive magazine in the country explaining that oversize tires will blow the engine in an F150, Ford agreed to give me a new engine. I payed the labor to the tune of $2300, but the short block alone new from ford is $3200. I was given a 2 year 24000 mile warranty and an assurance that I did not need to buy smaller tires for that warranty to be honored by Ford.
I was told that the warranty was trash by the same people that sold it to me. The dealership had gone back to the Ford ESP warranty which was supposed to be better. The moral of my story is Never buy an extended warranty from anyone other than the manufacturer unless you have researched it.

Old 08-22-2002, 12:24 AM
Gotta love "legalese" speak in the fine print. Sorry about the bad luck. Pretty much we all know the oversized tires didn't cause the bearing failure, but aftermarket policies like this are notorious for escape clauses like that.

Quick Reply: 1997 F-150 4x2 Allowed Tire Sizes