Torsion Bar Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torsion Bar Adjustment

Make way, newbie coming through...

What exactly goes into a torsion bar adjustment to level out my front-to-back height difference. I have a tow package that I don't use that often. Plus, I want to fit 305/70R17's under those fenders on stock suspension.

Any thoughts?
Anyone have a how-to on torsion bar adjustments?

Thanks in advance.
Pete

2001 SuperCrew, 5.4L, K&N FIPK, Gibson Catback

Old 08-14-2002, 10:46 PM
basically it just takes turning of the torsion bar bolts. then you should have a front end alignment. makes the truck sit much better. mine has been done, here are some pics

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...TOKEN=55296532

Old 08-20-2002, 12:13 PM
Takes an 18mm socket; park truck on level ground; pick a spot on each corner to take measurements; use the SAME spot each time; put a few turns on each bar; re-measure to level out the fornt side to side stance.

I doubt you will be able to completely level the front to rear stance. Neither of my Screws would level out completely, but they did change for the better.

Old 08-20-2002, 11:43 PM
How many turns should we be looking for? I know that you want to avoid sharp drive line angles when adjusting the torsion bars. When you adjust the torsion bars, do you limit the full articulation of the suspension?

F150aGoGo:
What size tires do you have on. Have you had any problems since the torsion bar adjustment and/or the tire size you went with? I too want to go with 305's.

Thanks.

Old 08-21-2002, 10:40 PM
yes I have 305's, and have had no problems with the torsion bars or any mods at all. I would not go to 315's myself without doing a lift as well, but that is just my preference.

Old 08-22-2002, 09:44 PM
Okay....Thanks for the info! When cranking your torsion bars, do you remember how many threads were there before you started and how many you ended up cranking? I realize that mine may be different then yours as far as how much to crank but I'm just looking for a reference. Also how do know that you are avoiding "acute drive line angles?"

Thanks for any and all help in this matter.
Your truck looks great by the way. Are those MTR's?

Last edited by Dudley; 08-22-2002 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:55 PM
I would not worry about number of threads, you will loose count and probably be off anyway. Here is what I did.

park the truck on level ground. measure from the ground to the middle of the fender lip. if the ground is level and your truck is level the measurement from the ground to the lip of the truck will be [about] the same on each side.

take a felt pen [or something] and mark on each bolt the 12 o'clock posistion and mark a spot on the crossmember and/or frame for reference. Then turn the right side bolt 1/2 turn then do the same for the left side. go remeasure each side again. continue the process until you get the height you want. this will ensure that you turn the bolt the same amount on each side. pretty easy huh?

>>"acute drive line angles?"

hummm.... not sure what hat means... maybe toe in...but to play it safe after doing this, you can have your truck realigned.

that is all there is to it.

Old 08-22-2002, 09:57 PM
dudley if you mean me... no I run Goodyears and love them

Old 08-22-2002, 10:04 PM
Got it. I checked underneath last PM and found that the one on the passenger's side was "cranked" more than the driver's. Measuring I found that the driver's was about 1/2in lower and I wasn't sure which was the "factory setting." I looked underneath a buddys 2002 FX4 and found that his had about the same amount of thread as my driver's side on his truck.

I've read that you have to watch out for acute drive line angles when you do this because it will cause wear on the CV joints. I only read it. It did not give specifics on how one would go about to determine this.

Did you jack up your rig when "cranking?" I read a process on one message board where a member did but haven't seen it listed as a step anywhere else.

Dudley

Old 08-22-2002, 10:08 PM
F150aGoGo:

Yes. I meant yours. That's a nice truck. My SCrew is Deep Wedgewood Blue and Arizona Biege but I will always love White.....I just hate cleaning it!

What kind of GY are those and how do you like them?

Dudley

Old 08-22-2002, 10:16 PM
i did not jack mine up to do the cranking, but that will help to make turning the bolts easier. then you will have to put it down again to measure. not a big deal... just up to you.

goodyear wrangler at/s. there is a pic or two in my gallery.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...FTOKEN=55296532
i really like the goodyears, works great dry, and wet, very quite too. we do not get any snow down here so I can not comment on that. I like white very much. I find it easy to clean cause you can see where you miss a spot. I've had green, blue, black, and silver. White is great down here because it is so darn hot.

Old 08-22-2002, 10:24 PM
The White trucks I've had in the past including the White Explorer I have now get these black specks that do not come off with soap in water leading me to using Bug and Tar to remove them and then waxing. Sorry, that's my A-type coming out.... White is the nicest color in my opinon though no matter where your at!

What size rims are that AT/S on? I'm looking for the Wrangler MT/Rs 305 for my stock 17s.

Dudley

Old 08-22-2002, 10:29 PM
Welcome!

Welcome aboard blacksc....

Old 08-22-2002, 10:40 PM
F150aGoGo:

One more question:

Any problems with your bolts backing out after you cranked them??

Quick Reply: Torsion Bar Adjustment