lots of brake pedal fade, minor pulsations

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lots of brake pedal fade, minor pulsations

Hey, I have a 1999 F-150 SuperCab with a 5.4 and 45,000 miles. The brakes were just done at 40,000 miles. Installed Ford pads and had rotors turned. I've been noticing a lot of brake pedal fade with minor pulsations at higher speeds. I've recently had the brake fluid changed. I think my rubber brake lines need to be changed. Does anyone (Explorer Pro Comp, Earls, Russell) make stainless steel brake lines with the correct length and fittings? Where can I get them? I have a 4x2 with stock ride height, front discs, rear drums. I'm not so worried about the single rear rubber hose, just the two front ones.

Also, has anyone else had problems with the rear drums not staying adjusted properly? I think my star wheel adjusters are worn.

Thanks for your help

Old 08-14-2002, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the exact same problem with pedal fade and pulsing when the brakes are applied. Mine doesn't do it all the time though. As far as the back drums, they are designed to adjust with the parking brake (at least my '98 ones are), but being an automatic, I rarely use it. Every couple of weeks I apply the parking brake 4 or 5 times in the driveway. I also once a month find a parking lot and do a couple of quick stops in reverse to keep them adjusted. I would be very interested to know if new stainless brake lines corrects the problem. BTW - it gets progressively worse the longer it goes on.

Quick Reply: lots of brake pedal fade, minor pulsations