What tire to replace OEs with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What tire to replace OEs with?

Ok i posted this in the aftermarket section and no one replied. Maybe the posters here are a little more intelligent in this section? This tire thing is confusing with all the choices. I currently have P235/70R16 as my factory tire size. I will be replacing them in about 5k miles. I do tow a 3100# travel trailer frequently with my truck. My rear end ratio is 3:31. I do not want to make it worse by going with a larger tire as i have already rebuilt one tranny due to towing without a cooler ( i now have a aux cooler). Do i go with a P rated extra load tire ( same factory size ) or do i go with a LT tire ( same factory size)? Ride harshness is not a concern. I dont feel i have any handling problems as my TT is only 20ft long. My truck is a F-150-4X4 supercab XL. I would like a little more aggressive lookiing tire as my OE tires look like they belong on a car ( Wilderness HT's). Most all my driving is highway driving. Thank for any advice.

Dave
2000 F-150XL 4x4 Super cab, K&N and Cat back exhaust.

Old 07-30-2002, 11:40 AM
I don't know about intelligence, but I will give you my thought. I have had 2 4X4 Rangers that came with the Firestones and now a FX4 with the GY RTSs. I swapped them all for the BFG All Terrain TAs as soon as I could. I got the as built size for each of them. 3 ply, stiffened sidewall and excellent wet weather and trail traction. If you rotate them regularly, they will give you 50,000 plus. Can be expensive, but they made each truck feel like I had tweeked the suspension. Nice aggresive look also. I often get comments about how they look good on the F150 4X4. I know that others have strong opinions about their tires, so if you give it a little time, I think that you will have more than enough info from these guys and gals to make a good decision.

Old 07-30-2002, 11:12 PM
If you get a lot of rain in Florida....

...you might look into the Michelins. Simply much better than the others I've used over the years (Bridgestone/Firestone, General (stock), Uniroyal, etc.) in a way you have to try to believe.

Check out reviews on TireRack.com or DiscountTire.com - might help you refine your search.

Old 08-02-2002, 08:53 AM
Thumbs up TOYO TIRE OPEN COUNTRY A/T

Take a loook at Toyo Tire Open Country A/T's they have been ranked #2 behind Michelin in some tire publications. Lots of sizes in 16 inch 50,000 mile waranty great price! If you decide to go with an L/T tire FYI you need more air pressure in a L/T tire to carry the same weight at a lower air pressure with a P-metric.

Last edited by shawnp582; 08-02-2002 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:21 PM
If you do some off road and on road, I would say the BFG All Terrain TAs would be a good choice, as would a good Cooper like the Discoverer AT.

But if, as you say, almost all your driving is on roads, I would at least consider the BFG Long Trail TAs. Why? Mainly because these are designed by the same folks who make the All Terrain TA but these are intended to give better highway handling and milage than a true " all terrain" tire. They also cost less.

Check out the customer reviews at Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com). If you look closely, it seems like guys who mistakenly thought the Long Trails were All Terrain TAs are critical but folks who knew they were buying a tire designed for 90% highway use are raving about the wear and wet/dry traction.

I'm running Cooper Discoverers on my truck, mostly because it's a 4x2 and I need a wide, open tread pattern to give me all the help I can get in mud, etc. I've heard the Long Trails are fine in dirt, dry, snow-covered road,...just not so good in serious mud or off-road snow. And they look nice.

Good luck.

Old 08-08-2002, 02:13 AM
Old 08-11-2002, 12:39 AM
Stay away from Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires. I have the 17" on my truck. They only have 10K miles on them and the tread is already 1/3 gone!! When I called Michelin they said "first half of the tread always wears quicker, call us back if you are not happy when the tires wear out" I seriously doubt that these tires will last for 25K...I may call Michelin to tell them I will never buy their tires again. After spending close to $800.00 for the Cross Terrain Suv tires I am very unhappy with their wear. BTW, Michelin rates this tire with a treadwear rating of 520!!!

Old 08-13-2002, 11:42 AM
your perfect tire is the BFG Long trail. I too had the wilderness ht's in that size.

here's why, you tow, the long trails are load range "E", you can get them in the same size as stock, they ride great on the road, have a 50k warranty, you can buy them at sams for a steal! they will do fine for basic off roading, they are quiet compared to the t/k's on the road...

good luck-

Old 08-13-2002, 12:04 PM
I have BFG Long Trail's on my truck now. They are a very good tire with good traction wet/dry.

My old truck, 98 F150 Supercab, had Michelin LTS M/S tires on it. They are a much better tire in my opinion. Even better traction than the BFG's. And the Michelin's are very quiet as well.

When BFG's wear out, I will replace them with Michelin's.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:19 PM
whatever you get dont let it be goodyear wrangler td's the tread life sucks

Old 08-15-2002, 08:57 AM
I agree about the Goodyear Wrangler's they are junk. I work in a tire shop and we get a bunch of the wranglers back. They tend to ride rough & make a lot of noise. They are also hard to balance (take a lot of weight).

Quick Reply: What tire to replace OEs with?