Think I fried the pads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think I fried the pads?

Moving at almost light speed on the freeway, I hit the skids really hard to avoid a peripherally-vision impaired driver who wanted my lane. I've got 4 wheel disc/ABS. The next day I noticed my brakes squeeling with light pedal pressure only. I changed the front pads with OEM, did not turn the rotors as they have absolutely no grooves and no run-out. The noise still persists. The rear rotors are also perfect with 90% material left on the rear pads.

My question is, do you think I fried the rear pads to the point where they are glazed/burnt/trashed? I don't know what to look for on the pad material.

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2002, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I found the source of the brake squeeling.

I pulled off both rear calipers and found the spring-clip (winged shape clip) on the outside pad, driver's side, did not have any tension on the caliper mating surface. On the right passenger side, the inside pad has a 3-prong clip that did not have enough tension to hold the pad inside of the caliper piston. When I pulled the caliper off, the pad fell out! To solve the looseness of both clips, I merely bent them to give more tension. I then cleaned everything up...sanded and wire brushed the rust off of the rotors and painted them with spray "heat" paint and cleaned the rotor surfaces with paint thinner to get the overspray off. Took a test drive and absolutely no sounds from the brakes now.

Phew!

Soooo...if you have some squeel with light pedal pressure...check those clips on the pads!

PS: Used a 10 MM socket on a 3/8" ratchet to remove the caliper bolts...large standard screw driver to push the caliper piston in...needle-nose pliers to bend the clips...spray brake cleaner for the caliper and backing plate...sand paper & wire brush on the rotor...rags...and a dab of brake caliper lube on the slides.

Quick Reply: Think I fried the pads?